BIAB losses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just curious on an average of how much is left behind in a biab crown urn?

Cheers,
Beamer

Cheers Bribie, just finished it as you posted. I have a pulley system in place, I also have four days brewing this week, looking forward to giving this a go. Did you notice any differences in the beer?

The ones I've done so far are on target, just that I'm getting more beer out of the system :p

I lose around 2-3 litres by my (unscientific) measure (guess)

I just throw in a bit more malt & water to compensate

Bribie G said:
How did you get on, Beamer?
Gday bribie,
Thankyou for your help, I have found a difference with the slower lifting, there was about a litre less loss in trub. I was brewing a few german beers with less hop additions, im not sure if this affected it aswell???

I am brewing a dunkelweizen on monday and I will be using a slower lift again and be lifting for the ten minutes to see the difference again and will report back.

More hops will mean more loss. Even if you use a hop sock it will absorb some wort.

There will always be loss in the process to grub, evaporation and absorption. Being able to predict them with relative consistency is as important as minimizing them.

Cheers Contarian,
I have just remeasured all my levels and losses and released my evaporation fate was out and water levels too.

Gday lads,

I was lucky enough today to be able to do 2 brews, and I did the Bribie slow lift method over ten minutes and the second brew i did the old heave hoe straight up and out.

These brews both had different grain and hop bills, but with the slow ten minute lift I did have about 2/3-3/4 less trub.

It was no where near as little as Bribies but I'm thinking this could have something to do with what setting the grain is run through the mill at???

I will be doing the slow method from now on.

Hope this also helps other brewers.

Cheers,
Beamer

Latest posts

Back