Bathurst Homebrew Competition 2006 Details

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pint of lager

brewing on the verandah
Reaction score
BATHURST HOMEBREW COMP. 2006

The 2006 Bathurst Homebrew competition will be held on Friday 15th and Saturday 16th September at the Kelso Hotel, Great Western Highway, Kelso (On the outskirts of Bathurst).

The Categories and Styles will remain the same as previous years. All details, entry forms, etc are available from me and will be on some web sites and homebrew stores within a couple of weeks. If you want I can E-Mail most details now if you require them. My E-Mail address is [email protected] or Phone 0417 084 044

We are just finalising sponsors and supporters so if you are interested in helping out then please let me know ASAP.

This year we are unable to give any financial support towards fuel costs or accommodation. We just dont have the money to go around anymore. Accommodation is available at the Kelso Hotel in their Motel section at $65 per Single or $85 per Double Room. You will need to contact them direct to book accommodation ASAP as they only have 12 rooms to let out. Their Phone Number is 02 6331 6675
Please let me know if you are able to come, as without your assistance as judges and helpers we cannot run this competition. Lunch will be provided on the Friday and Saturday but all other meals will be at your own cost.

There will be the usual Presentation Night on the Saturday night at the Hotel with some giveaways on the night. The cost will be $30 per head which includes a 3 course meal as well as beer and wine and soft drink. We can cater for about 100 people on the night so you had better get in early and book and pay for your seat ASAP.

If you require any more information then please let me know.

Yours in Brewing
Brian Noyes (The Bigfella)

--------------------------------------------------------
details posted by pint of lager for the bigfella

Just doing a little reading of the comp detail on the Country Brewer website and if I am not mistaken, one needs to have 6 entry's into the comp in order to win a prize. Not a hard task by any measure of course. However, the $7 fee per entry means that in order to win a prize one needs to spend at least $42 just to be in the running for a trophy. I understand that if you do not qualify for the trophies judges comments etc.. will be sent to you letting you know how you went, however, as a social brewer like myself who thinks that one in every 5 - 10 brews is a masterpiece, it makes it hard for me to decide to actually send something in.

I keg my brews as a rule of thumb and bottle what is left over, so my collection of bottle is limited. I use the half litre bottle of grolsh to bottle what I have, which means I would need to send in 2 of every brew just to qualify(And these grolsh bottles are hard to come by)

This is by no means a bitch season against the organisers of a fine homebrewing comp, I just wanted to express my opinion about something that I thought I could have taken part of, but feel I can't because I am sort of on the outside I guess.

Damn I think this strong ale I am drinking would have done alright too...

Cheers

HK

To qualify for trophies and awards each class MUST have received a minimum of 6 entries.

I think it means that to win in one category, there need to be six entries in that categories. Just so that if there are only two entries in the strong lager category, nobody wins the prize. :D

To qualify for trophies and awards each class MUST have received a minimum of 6 entries.

I think it means that to win in one category, there need to be six entries in that categories. Just so that if there are only two entries in the strong lager category, nobody wins the prize. :D

Oh I see, That actualy makes a little more sense to a drunk ******* like me...

Thanks Stu for the insight, opened my eyes a little...

Cheers

HK

How do these things usually work re non-Bathurst residents submitting entries? If you enter a beer is it necessary to deliver it in person or is there a HBS or someone else who is collecting entires and taking them up in one hit? I would love to enter a few beers but I will struggle to get myself up there in person. Sorry for the ignorance on my part - I have never participated in this comp before...

Cheers :beer:

Don't forget today is the last day to get your entries in.

Don't forget today is the last day to get your entries in.

No it's not, if you are sending entries to the Bathurst drop off you have until the 9th Sept :super:

Cheers
Andrew

Got my entries form via the mail but due to extremely low stocks will not be entering this year.Hopefully next year will be back on top of things.

Big D

Off to Bathurst with a brewing mate tomorrow, 5.30 am, to help with the comp. Hope to see some AHBers there.

Off to Bathurst with a brewing mate tomorrow, 5.30 am, to help with the comp. Hope to see some AHBers there.

If it's like most years, Barry will need the mate to carry the prizes home. :D

Cheers
Pedro

This year's Bathurst Competition is over.

As in other years, the weekend went very smoothly. Brian and Gay Noyes did the organising of the competition, then with great teamwork from a happy band of volunteers the whole event rolled out.

To run a competition you need an organiser, a venue, sponsors, judges, bottle washers, tally keepers, stewards, entries, awards and a presentation. Then they all have to come together . To see the event running so well without a hiccuph is a credit to everyone involved.

Here are the major awards.

Grand Champion Beer
Sponsored by Bathurst Trophies and Gifts
Simon Barrett

Champion Bathurst District Beer
Sponsored by B - Rock 993 FM
Robin McLachlan

Champion Bathurst District Beer ( Runner Up )
Sponsored by B - Rock 993 FM
Phillipa Jarrett

Most Successful Exhibitor of Show
Sponsored by The Kelso Hotel , Kelso
Darren Robinson

Will post the rest of the results later today.

Looks like AHB members dominated. Congrats to Pint of Lager, Doc, Guest Lurker and other winners. :beer:

A big congrats to the Bathurst Comp team. Great to see it return.
Well done GL. Top work. What beer was it.
Congrats to PoL too. Runner up and a nice prize.

Beers,
Doc

Congrats Doc, PoL and GL!

Doc, which of your brews did you enter? Hop Whompus? or the Evil Twin? :p

Good to see the WA flag flying high, and for once it wasn't Asher (no, we're not jealous of you mate).

WD to GL, PoL and Doc :)

Congratulations to Pint of Lager, Doc and Guest Lurker. I hope we get to see the recipes up in the recipe section, not a bad result for AHB either :)

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Back