Babbs Mash Paddle Beer "chocolate Winter Warmer"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappo1970

Piss off or Buy Me A Beer
Reaction score
Well I was pleasantly surprised to see that our mash paddle beer was the "Chocolate" winter warmer. As I have sat down with beer in one hand and the BJCP guideline in the other taking notes on styles that may suit I have realised how open the field is. Also dropped into Ross at lunch today for a little chin wag and we came up with even more ideas and adjuncts. Then ducked downstairs and had another little chat with Mothballs and got even more ideas!

Originally I was thinking Stout, Porter and or FES. Now I am not to sure because chocolate as a flavour actually works well in an assortment of beers. Think belgian? Think a nice big Dubble or Triple? Banna Split maybe? American brown you say? No never? But think how well all those hoppy citrus/passion fruits notes will work with chocolate?

What about adjuncts? Chilli, nutmeg, ginger, corrianda, poppy seed, seeds of paradise? Fruits? Strawberrys, mangoes, peach, bannana (Ross is the bannana king)? Think hazelnut, macadamia's, almonds. The possibilities go on and on. Arrrrghhh!

So I have decided to settle on a base beer and go from there. At the moment is it between 3 base beers:
  1. Belgian Dark Stong Ale
  2. My Hunters Old Recipe
  3. American Brown
I think I am tossing up between the Belgian and the American. Although the Hunter has a lovely rich malt character with raisin undertones and would suit a big winter warmer. Plus it's an Aussie too. Hmmmm?

Anyway I would interested to discuss recipes and ideas with my fellow BABBS Brewers here. So what are you planning or thinking?

Cheers

Chap Chap

Chappo, the rules say you can enter two beers if that helps wth your decision making.

If you are looking for inspiration, head up to Mt Tamborine, drop into The Chocolate Gallery and try their Chili Chocolates. It's only a short stagger from the Eagle Heights brewery.

Given the winning beer will be brewed at Eagle Heights, would be interesting to have a local edge.

Wish I could be around to enter this one; would go for something with a South American feel that was designed to mess with perceptions (colour vs flavour).

When is this beer due? I thought Ross said May, but it says July in the 2010 calendar?

- Snow.

Ross said May to me today Snow!

Yeah i am with Hefe be great to muck around with peoples heads. I light coloured beer with all those warm flavours in there.

Ross said May to me today Snow!
Due in May and will be mini-comp judged then. Eagle Heights will announce their winner by June meeting and the brew day will go down in July. So you'll need 2x bottles at May meeting, one for Ed to judge and one for the rest of us.

Chappo, the rules say you can enter two beers if that helps wth your decision making.

Two beers! Great!

So one beer and a sneaky will never win because it's "too far out man" to win. And then the winning entry, excellent!

Thanks Ionte

Due in May and will be mini-comp judged then. Eagle Heights will announce their winner by June meeting and the brew day will go down in July. So you'll need 2x bottles at May meeting, one for Ed to judge and one for the rest of us.

And hopefully the entry sheet will not dissapear again ;)

Brewing my 1st attempt tomorrow. Spent an hour over at the Indian Spice Emporium tasting all the different spices, had half the shop coming up with ideas of what to add.
Quite an assortment going in the 1st brew - A rich Rye Porter with Rum & Rasin Chocolate, Corriander, Mace, Nutmeg, Cinanamon, Bitter Orange Peel, Pacific Jade Hops & a Belgian Yeast....

Cheers Ross

Brewing my 1st attempt tomorrow. Spent an hour over at the Indian Spice Emporium tasting all the different spices, had half the shop coming up with ideas of what to add.
Quite an assortment going in the 1st brew - A rich Rye Porter with Rum & Rasin Chocolate, Corriander, Mace, Nutmeg, Cinanamon, Bitter Orange Peel, Pacific Jade Hops & a Belgian Yeast....

Cheers Ross

Mace? You been rummaging around in Jackies hand bag again? :lol:

What time are you kicking off Ross? I have a spare day tomorrow so I might drop in and see (aka steal) your ideas in action?

Mace? You been rummaging around in Jackies hand bag again? :lol:

What time are you kicking off Ross? I have a spare day tomorrow so I might drop in and see (aka steal) your ideas in action?

hopefully mashing in by 9.30.

cheers Ross

And hopefully the entry sheet will not dissapear again ;)
One day I'm gonna find some unopened box from the house move and right there at the bottom will be the key to the Oz Ale entries :blink:

Gingery chocolate flavours on a bed of Old Peculier-ness ;) . There's bound to be a few train wrecks on the way to this competition for sure :rolleyes: .

Well after alot of thought I have decided I need to decide between two (3) options being

1. Chocolate Imperial Stout
2. Chocolate Belgian Quad
3. Old Jamaica Chocolate Ale
4. Chocolight Mild

I have until May which makes it hard to age the big beers.

Well after alot of thought I have decided I need to decide between two (3) options being

1. Chocolate Imperial Stout
2. Chocolate Belgian Quad
3. Old Jamaica Chocolate Ale
4. Chocolight Mild

I have until May which makes it hard to age the big beers.

Err that's four Brad?

Yeah Brad my exact thoughts as well. The big beers need more time to come good so essentially if want some age on them we need to get cracking now IMO.

I like the sound of the Old Jamaica Chocolate Ale. Maybe some rum in there as well?

I am also thinking of a Bock for something different?

Chap Chap

BTW what happened to you for Beer and Boobs mate?

Err that's four Brad?

BTW what happened to you for Beer and Boobs mate?

O/T
1. Never take all your down pipes off during the week with intention of redirecting drainage, no matter how unlikely you think it would be that stormwater would be able to drain to downstairs and soak 30sqm of carpet and underlay :angry:
2. I forgot about boobies :( remembered when it was too late.

I will fix you up as agreed.

Brad

:icon_offtopic:
You would pick the one week we have heavy rain :rolleyes:
Oh well, RDWHAHB.

Back on topic, I'm seriously looking at,

1) Big English Old
2) RIS
3) Robust Porter
4) Belgian Dark Strong.

So no surprises there.

Belgian Dark Strong and a Chocolate chinese hop bomb :p

Back on topic, I'm seriously looking at,

1) Big English Old
2) RIS
3) Robust Porter
4) Belgian Dark Strong.

So no surprises there.

Pfffft! Come on Perry do one of those "Safe" beers and hang ya tackle out on the other. We have 2 entries per member.

Latest posts

Back