Anzac Beer with Belgian?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droopy Brew

Reaction score
OK Im going to have a crack at an Anzac bickie beer and would appreciate some feedback , particularly on yeast selection.

Grain Bill:
MO- 4.35kg
Munich II - 250g
Caramunich II- 150g
Victory- 250g
Rolled Oats- toasted 200g
Desicated coconut toasted 150g

Mash at 67C single step for 70 min and mash out at 78C

Then 200g Golden syrup in last 1 min of boil
Then 50g of toasted coconut in secondary.

Bitter with EKG of Fuggles to 28IBU with single 60 min addition.

For a 22L brew Im expecting about 4.8% ABV.

Now obviously there is a bit going on there flavour wise but I think all components are necessary and I feel I have the ratios about right. I was originally going to use Windsor yeast but having a think about it- some spice might be a good thing so was thinking of using a Belgian yeast (WLP 570).

What do others think- will the Belgian complement this nicely or will it throw too much into the mix.

Also any other comments on the recipe will be taken onboard.

For my palate, a gentle balance of just a few ingredients works best with the complexity lent by a belgian yeast.
In this instance, I reckon it will be too much. What spice are you hoping to add? Black pepper? Cloves?
Neither of those would be welcome in an anzac biscuit I would enjoy. Is there a character in this yeast that makes you think 'yes!' or is it just an experimental idea?
Don't want to discourage you from having a play but not a recipe decision that makes sense to me.

Experimental idea mate. I see a few AB beers include some form of spice- cinnamon etc.

It would be an interesting one but yeah might be a bit much at play. I also get some banana out of 570 so that might not go well.

For what it's worth I'm about to keg an ANZAC biscuit beer. The recipe is from the Homebrew Calendar other posters have referenced on here. The original recipe is a partial but I had a crack at converting to AG. It tasted very much like ANZAC biscuits before pitching the yeast so looking forward to it.

ANZAC Bisuit Beer (American Amber Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.053 (°P): 13.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.63 %
Colour (SRM): 18.7 (EBC): 36.9
Bitterness (IBU): 32.3 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

32.94% Pale Ale Malt
31.76% Munich I
18.82% Golden Syrup
4.71% Biscuit
4.71% Crystal 60
4.71% Flaked Oats
2.35% Lactose

1.1 g/L Challenger (6.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Challenger (6.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Willamette (7.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

0.1 g/L Cinnamon Stick @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
5.3 g/L Coconut @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Mixed Spice @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.1 g/L Vanilla @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

The coconut and rolled oats were toasted. Coconut, spices and Golden Syrup added at flame out.

Droopy Brew said:
Experimental idea mate. I see a few AB beers include some form of spice- cinnamon etc.

It would be an interesting one but yeah might be a bit much at play. I also get some banana out of 570 so that might not go well.
Reason I ask what spice is because spice is a very generic descriptor. I've certainly never tasted cinammon from the belgian yeasts I've used. Nothing wrong with trying it out - my approach to recipe design is to take flavours I think will work together and my experience with belgian yeasts thus far means I don't think it will provide what you are chasing. I've been wrong before though.

Droopy Brew said:
Thanks mate, I went through that for some ideas before developing the recipe but needed some thoughts more on the yeast.
Ok, no worries. I'll be keeping an eye here to see how it pans out for you.

Why WLP028 MB? I dont think I can get it in time but interested in your train of thought.

Droopy Brew said:
Why WLP028 MB? I dont think I can get it in time but interested in your train of thought.
A really malt forward yeast that looks well suited to your grain bill. Adds its own unique aspect too which I can't quiet put my finger on it. It also doesn't mute the hop character so a good go to for your spice additions.

Latest posts

Back