Ag Biab - Brewing Assistance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usastman

Reaction score
Guys,

I have brewed a couple of beers with my BIAB set up.

I think that I had a doggy thermometer and so mashed at a hight temp than I wanted to.

My OG was 1.055 - but when I fermented the FG only dropped to 1.025.

I think that as the mash was at a higher temp I got more non fermentable sugars.

I thought that given more non fermentable sugars that this would drop the alcohol %. But given my handover - I am not to sure.

Question: Is my theory of more non fermentables logical - would this mean I would expect a higher FG?

And if there are less fermentables shouldn't this affect alcohol content?

You've got it in one, mate. I regularly do a UK dark mild ale and mash at 70 degrees. It starts off around 1043 but only drops to 1022 so is thick in body but low in alcohol, deliberately so because I enter it in State and National comps and rules are that it has to be <4% ABV.

If you have one fermenting now and want it to be stronger, you could sneak in say 500g dex which will boost the joy juice and it shouldn't be out of balance as you have the dextrins etc in there already. Best solution get a good quality digital stick thermometer - I've had mine from Craftbrewer for 2 years now and brilliant. As you do BIAB then that's excellent system for accurate mash temp as you won't get heat pockets - particularly if you give the mash a good pump and use good passive lagging during the mash.

Cheers - thanks for the advise. Was concerned about why I had a high FG - least I was thinking correctly.

Got another digi thermometer yesterday - hopefully will mean a bit more accuracy.

Guys,

I have brewed a couple of beers with my BIAB set up.

I think that I had a doggy thermometer and so mashed at a hight temp than I wanted to.

My OG was 1.055 - but when I fermented the FG only dropped to 1.025.

I think that as the mash was at a higher temp I got more non fermentable sugars.

I thought that given more non fermentable sugars that this would drop the alcohol %. But given my handover - I am not to sure.

Question: Is my theory of more non fermentables logical - would this mean I would expect a higher FG?

And if there are less fermentables shouldn't this affect alcohol content?

Have you adjusted your OG and FG according to the temperature each was taken at? If the OG was taken at a higher temp than the FG then the difference will be greater. There is a tool to adjust SG for temp at www.brewmate.net, a free app. Go to Tools>Hydrometer Temperature Calibration. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back