8 Day Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.G. = 1.036
Current S.G. = 1.010
Should be ok to keg tomorrow night.

Sample tasted a bit thin and not heaps of aroma from the yeast at this stage (K-97). Hopefully once carbonated it has a bit more life. Never having brewed a 1.036 OG beer I'm not really sure what to expect.

Any thoughts?

Fish

O.G. = 1.036
Current S.G. = 1.010
Should be ok to keg tomorrow night.

Sample tasted a bit thin and not heaps of aroma from the yeast at this stage (K-97). Hopefully once carbonated it has a bit more life. Never having brewed a 1.036 OG beer I'm not really sure what to expect.

Any thoughts?

Fish

Hi Fish,

I'm sorry, but I really don't know what you expect to get out of K-97, it is not a heffe yeast, not even remotely. It's a neutral German ale yeast, much more suitable for Alts. The good advice was to use WB-06, which would have given you a delicious heffe. The K-97 will add virtually no character to your brew. What was your recipe in the end? Hopefully you'll end up with something you like.

Cheers Ross

Hi Ross,

The yeast was what I had to hand and as time was limited I thought I'd give it a go however I'm disappointed it was labeled/marketed as K-97 wheat yeast. I googled it and you're spot-on it's simply a German Ale yeast.

You live and learn though and as you say it may taste o.k. - won't be knocking anyone over with flavour though.

Cheers
Fish

I've got a golf trip coming up and at very short notice thought I might brew a wheat beer. Is it possible to brew a beer and have it kegged ready to drink within 8 days? I have a 'heat pad' which will ferment at approx. 25C which should speed things along.

Fish

Sure you can using the 'No Messin Fermenter to filter to keg system' and like Steve said if the style is right to use the Nottingham Yeast .

Pumpy :)

Process_2.jpg

Hi Ross,

The yeast was what I had to hand and as time was limited I thought I'd give it a go however I'm disappointed it was labeled/marketed as K-97 wheat yeast. I googled it and you're spot-on it's simply a German Ale yeast.

You live and learn though and as you say it may taste o.k. - won't be knocking anyone over with flavour though.

Cheers
Fish

It is recommended for Belgian Wits, not Heffes... Anyone advising different needs a kick up the @^$e...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back