18 month old keg of beer- would you drink it?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
Clearly I need to look at how rotate the kegs in the shed.

Today i found one left over from my sons engagement party which was in July 2012. So I must have brewed it around May...

Anyways it feel a bit under half full.

Its still under pressure so has been sealed up full of CO2 all that time.

I was going to tip it and clean the keg out, but wondered what it was like. So I chucked in the keg fridge and gave it try.

I was surpised it was still ok, poured a beautiful head and tasted alright.

How long will beer keep sealed in a keg, protected from light, and under CO2 so no risk of oxidation.

Would you drink it or tip it

Never know until you tried it! When I bought my kegs and fridge, the bloke threw in another keg that he had that was filled with stout, and was about two years old. I had to try it! Wasn't the best, but definitely wasn't undrinkable either.

got one thats probably closer to two years somewhere.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Let us know when (if) you get to the end of the keg... :ph34r:

Of course I'd drink it.

No idea why you wouldn't.

If it tasted like arse I'd stop drinking it, then tip it but it won't hurt you. It's beer. In a keg. With CO2.

GrumpyPaul said:
How long will beer keep sealed in a keg, protected from light, and under CO2 so no risk of oxidation.

Would you drink it or tip it

I am unsure how kegged beer gets 'light' strike :p

From what I have read, and very rarely post on that basis, but 18 months is about the pinnacle of pre-danger ageing. conditions dependant.

To answer your Q - yes, I would taste it, if OK - drink that shit!

Just out of curiosity, do you know what style of beer it was?

Hippy said:
If it tastes ok I'd drink it.
This seems to be the consensus.

And Im happy to run with it.

Ill let you all know if i die from old beer posioning...but then again

carniebrew said:
It was a toucan.

But i cant find the recipe anywhere so apart from toucans i have no idea what was in it.

I think i migh have the recipe saved on the computer at work...will look tomorrow.

Pulled a 22 month old cream ale and a 19 month old Czech Pils out of curiosity to see how they were. The Cream ale was great. Pils was a little lack lustre, but not a tip out.

Martin

I'd drink anything once. If it is nice, bottoms up!

It wont kill you if it tastes like arse.

carniebrew said:
Found it....

Twas a Toucan as mentioned before.

2 cans of Tooheys Special Draught
300 g ldme
100g choc malt
5g of Cascade at 10, 5 and 0 minutes.
Wyeast 1968 (reused the yeast cake from an all grain ESB)

From the taste I had yesterday - those late hop additions have faded away.

Its not great - (probably wasnt to start with anyway) but it's still beer and still drinkable

I have some 4 year old bottles of 'chinese hopped' pale ale and 9 year old bottles of an amber ale.
The younger beer has some autolysis, but the older one still tastes fine.

Ken oath give it a go.

Had some eight year old ginger beer not long ago. Apart from being seriously alcoholic it actually tasted pretty good

I'm curious - read stories of bottles of beer being awesome after a few years, and reading up on people doing westy clones and they say it doesn't really hit it's stride till 12 - 18 months. Can kegging be used to age beer as well? or is it different somehow in a bottle?

I think it's more a temp thing rather than keg vs bottle. I like to bottle strong beers, especially Belgians. They just seem to change and mellow so much better than the keg. I think it's because they are at room temp, so the yeasties can slowly smooth things out.

So if the keg was kept for the full year at room temps... Probably condition well?

Harder to sample to see how things are progressing though...

Coopers condition there kegs and bottles in the same room at the brewery. Should give a rough idea of how it should turn out

Latest posts

Back