10 Days Shizenhausen Or Krauzen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Pushing along with my AG's, 6th one another of Gavos ESBs.
3.25kg Golden Promise Ale Malt
0.20kg Wheat Malt
0.20kg Carared
0.20kg Cararoma
36gm EKG 60mins
25gm EKG 15mins
10gm Ekg 0 mins
250gm sugar
London Ale 111 smacked left for 3hrs

28lts boil 23lts into fermenter @ 1043sg, strong ferment for 5-6 days, 10 days now @ 1012, still has what looks like through the lid approx. 10-12mm of what i hope is krausen, light brown in colour & fairly firm. Any ideas what it might be, first time using London 111, or is there something nasty lurking in the fermenter <_< . Used a plate chiller for the first time as well :D .
A taste of the sample wasn't too bad, very murky still, no really bad off flavor, think i'll leave it another few days, then rack & fine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Cheers
Briby

Is it a top fermenter??? I had the same worries about some 1275 Thames Valley on the last brew and I its not going to last long in the keg. Just let it do its thing and it will eventually drop.

Brad

I made a honey ale last time and the krausen lasted 2 weeks after i added the honey to the secondary.... turned out fine... if a little alcoholic....

Not sure Brads, like rack'Emup says, time will tell.
Cheers
briby
Have just bottled a mild fermented with 1318 London Ale III tonight.
Had the same layer of leftover krausen when it was finished fermenting.
Chilled it down to 3C for 3 days before bottling.
Layer was gone and the beer was clear as! Fairly solid cake left in bottom of fermenter when I was finished.
You have no problem just CC and bottle or keg.
Cheers
Nige

I am on my third brew with this yeast and have found that is does leave a fair amount of debris on top that settles with a CC as mentioned above. No bottle bombs or over carb yet either. :lol:

Hi there glad to see those recipe's being used and modified. I've gone off on a tangent of crossing Aussie and American ales lately, will get back the ESB's or Milds soon.

I have had the same problem with the krauzen not wanting to drop in the past, I think it was wyeast 1056 from memory, anyway as others have said it "should" drop by CC'ing. If it is stubborn and won't drop then just rack it and leave the krauzen behind.

Cheers
Gavo.

Wow. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. :blink:

If you are using a top fermenting strain, don't waste what's left on top....It's yeast. Its clean yeast. No trub in sight. No need to faff about with rinsing it, etc.

Ever heard the term 'top cropping' or 'top cropper'? Sanatise a ladel and a jug, skim the yeast from the surface, put it in a bottle and put it in the fridge!

(if top cropping, make sure the bottle is unsealed, or regularly vented...that amount of healthy yeast with a small amount of beer...it will chew through the rest of the sugars in it, more than it would in a regular batch....so it will continue to work on it, even in the cold.....so keep it vented.)

Yes I've got a 1469 West Yorkshire approaching the end of fermentation and it's dotted with little yeast icebergs that look like lumps of butter floating on the top and I can't wait to get my hands (or scoop) onto them and breed them up for next brew.

If you are using a top fermenting strain, don't waste what's left on top....It's yeast. Its clean yeast. No trub in sight. No need to faff about with rinsing it, etc.

Ever heard the term 'top cropping' or 'top cropper'? Sanatise a ladel and a jug, skim the yeast from the surface, put it in a bottle and put it in the fridge!

Had thought of that but never been organised enough to try it let alone try to describe it. Will have to give it a go with my next lot of 1272.

Gavo.

Wow. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. :blink:

(if top cropping, make sure the bottle is unsealed, or regularly vented...that amount of healthy yeast with a small amount of beer...it will chew through the rest of the sugars in it, more than it would in a regular batch....so it will continue to work on it, even in the cold.....so keep it vented.)

Butters, I'm sure I read or heard (podcast) that top cropping should only be done during active Krausen ie: early on in fermentation. Tried it a few times a few years ago, with varied success. Once fermentation stopped short after removing about 100ml of krausen. Figured I had removed too much. The yeast did work well although after settling there did not seem to be enough so had to use it to make a starter. The scum left behind after fermentation with 1056 S-05 is typical, even though fermentation has well and truly stopped. Do you think this scum holds viable yeast?

Screwy

Well, most of the yeasts mentioned in this thread are british strains. Not entirely sure on the us05, cos it's not something I regularly use....although on the occasions that I have, I've taken from the bottom, not the top. For the british strains, though, 1469 in particular, you get a good 3 to 4 inches of yeasty goodness on top.....on more than one occasion, I've had it trying to escape athe fermenter.

as to the when.....well, I do two stage fermentations, so I skim before transfer to secondary fermentation. Usually about 4 points (ish) prior to fg. So, yes, it is during active krausen. The amount of yeast that I get from 1469 is enough to directly pitch about 3 or even 4 batches. 1275 usually gives me about 1/2- 3/4 of that amount. So even if not transferring to secondary fermentation, there is ample yeast to remove some, with these strains.

There have been a few occasions where I haven't gone to secondary fermentation, and have just left it to reach terminal gravity...1275 has given me enough, even off top, for a single batch, and 1469 will hold it's top layer for quite a while after fg is reached, easily enough for 2 batches. Although I do think the result is better before fg.

Yes I've got a 1469 West Yorkshire approaching the end of fermentation and it's dotted with little yeast icebergs that look like lumps of butter floating on the top and I can't wait to get my hands (or scoop) onto them and breed them up for next brew.
Goodness, thanks BribieG, that reminds me- I've got the popcorn thing happening with some 1469 too, was meaning to grab a spoonful rather than sacrifice another slant (many thanks comrade M!) or refrigerated starter. I'd better get cracking!

Well, most of the yeasts mentioned in this thread are british strains. Not entirely sure on the us05, cos it's not something I regularly use....although on the occasions that I have, I've taken from the bottom, not the top. For the british strains, though, 1469 in particular, you get a good 3 to 4 inches of yeasty goodness on top.....on more than one occasion, I've had it trying to escape athe fermenter.

Hey Butters, i top cropped that American Ale II we hwere discussing (pitching rates etc of top cropping) and its chewing its way through an American brown ale as we speak. When i top cropped i got around 1/2 a cup of yeast~. Pitched that directly into the fermenter @ around 10pm. The following morning it was almost crawling its way out fo the fermenter.

Awesome! im going todo the same thing with my 1968 ive just pitched into a best bitter. Will also save me some time before i run off to Vietnam for 3 weeks rather than waiting until i crash chill and rack to a keg!

I'd forgotten about that, fourstar....sounds like you got a good pitch going on it. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back