Taphopuse Nz Bottle Prices Hit High Water Mark

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogan

Stalag Brewery
Reaction score
Called into the Taphouse Darlinghurst yesterday with a mate. Decided to try the Epic Armageddon IPA and the 8 Hopwired IPA in bottles. Both are NZ beers, great taste and great hop flavour though the Hopwired was a bit of a citrus bomb.

The surprise was that the cost of the Epic was $20 for a 500ml bottle and $25 for the Hopwired. Rather over the top we thought for craft brew that only has to come across the ditch. I know that Hopwired sells for $9.50 in NZ and $11.00 in SA.

Of course it was our choice to have the beers but we were virgins to these IPA's.

Never spent that much on half litre of beer and won't again, but perhaps I am being unkind to Guy's establishment.

Cheers, Hoges.

"I know that Hopwired sells for $9.50 in NZ and $11.00 in SA." Are these bottleshop prices or bar prices?

At the few bottle shops in Melbourne that sell Epic Armegeddon it ranges from $13 to $16 so $20 at a bar isn't all that bad. $25 for Hopwired would seem to be getting pretty high. I've been drinking at The Local Taphouse in Melbourne since it opened and I can count on one hand the number of bottles I have purchased. Spare of the moment decisions happen but mailorder can be your friend.

If you want excessivly high prices check out Josie Bones next time your in Melbourne. $40 bottle of Saison Dupont anyone?

Called into the Taphouse Darlinghurst yesterday with a mate. Decided to try the Epic Armageddon IPA and the 8 Hopwired IPA in bottles. Both are NZ beers, great taste and great hop flavour though the Hopwired was a bit of a citrus bomb.

The surprise was that the cost of the Epic was $20 for a 500ml bottle and $25 for the Hopwired. Rather over the top we thought for craft brew that only has to come across the ditch. I know that Hopwired sells for $9.50 in NZ and $11.00 in SA.

Of course it was our choice to have the beers but we were virgins to these IPA's.

Never spent that much on half litre of beer and won't again, but perhaps I am being unkind to Guy's establishment.

Cheers, Hoges.

Epic Armageddon sells for around $15(?) at Plonk in Canberra so an extra 33% at a bar in pretty reasonable. I have friends in bars in Canberra who say they have trouble stocking/selling craft brews cos the across-the-board mark up for all booze in bars usually doubles the bottleshop price of a beer and regular beer-muggles won't pay $10 for a Wicked Elf when they can buy a Becks for $7. For instance if you bought a bottle of Corona in a bottleshop you might pay $2.50 maybe $3? Corona easily sells for $5-6 in bars and that's often the happy-hour rate!

But Corona is a poor example ... (of beer as well as for this argument!)

hope you enjoyed the Epic - it is such and awesome beer!

If you want excessivly high prices check out Josie Bones next time your in Melbourne. $40 bottle of Saison Dupont anyone?

Holy Farmhouse Brews Batman! Plonk'll sell that baby to you for a whopping $12 per 750mL bottle - that's a crazy mark-up

This place we went to in NYC nearly 2 years ago the starting price was US$10(330ML) up to US$200 and at the time we where only getting 67c to the dollar....good things cost good money and sometimes bad things as well thats when you feel ripped off.

http://www.beertable.com/

I was drinking the hopwired IPA on tap at Cookie the other week in Melb and paid about $6.50 for the pot from memory. Wasn't expensive at all.

I was drinking the hopwired IPA on tap at Cookie the other week in Melb and paid about $6.50 for the pot from memory. Wasn't expensive at all.

Now that sounds a more reasonable price. But I did prefer the Armageddon of the two.

Cheers, Hoges.

Latest posts

Back