Saisons and age

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earle

Choc wheat fiend
Reaction score
Brewed a saison with Wyeast French Saison yeast last October/November, previously I had used Belle Saison. Tasted good fresh but I'm finding I like it more and more as it gets a few months of age on it. I'll be quite sad when the keg blows.

It raises the question about what the consensus is on saisons and aging. For instance generally weizens are thought to be best fresh when the yeast character is most prominent. A major component of saison flavour is also derived from the yeast but I'm thinking the two styles probably age differently.

I've done a bit of a search but could only find a couple of comments where people express their personal preference for some age on their saisons.

What are peoples thoughts and reasoning on this?

Cheers in advance

I have noticed that my saisons have aged very well and I'm currently making hay while the sun shines and fermenting saisons at ambient temp while my fridge is being used for other styles. It's nice to not battle the Queensland heat for once !

Hoping to have a good supply right into winter.

FWIW I bought some out of date wheat beers (didn't know, wasn't happy) and they actually still tasted great.

I brewed mine at ambient up here, and it was excellent - in the hotter, non-air conditioned upstairs of my townhouse.

I made one in Tassie and got lazy and didn't bottle it for two months - I have to say my 2 week old Saison has about the same yeast character that the 2 month mistreated one did - so I'm confused too.

You tempted me to try mine that has been in the bottle for just over 5 months. It has definitely mellowed down from the quite distinctive taste it had when fresh from the keg. Used Whitelabs French Saison yeast WLP590, 2 litre starter.

So I say fresh is best and a big starter is better. Reasoning: .

Edit: fermented at 22C

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back