Muck Inside Ph Probe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogan

Stalag Brewery
Reaction score
I have the same pH meter as is pictured. I have had it about 18 months. The probe (top of picture) has now grown what appears to be mould inside the blue probe tube. I can't see how anything foreign would have got in because it is sealed. Any ideas? Will this affect my pH readings? (did not appear to do so today) Should I replace it?

Cheers, Hoges.

001.jpg

What colour is the alleged mould?

Its probably just a flock of fine silver particles (yes they can be black); the solution in the electrode will be either Silver or Mercury Chloride, with use the silver electrode will slowly plate out and the silver has to go somewhere.
Eventually this process will degrade the electrode, but if it still calibrates OK its fine to use.
Linke to wiki, if you store the electrode properly it will last a lot longer.
MHB

Linke to wiki, if you store the electrode properly it will last a lot longer.
MHB

Thanks MHB. What had me puzzled was that the tube was sealed so nothing should get in. Your comment re the silver particles appears to be the most probable reason.

I do store the probe vertically sitting in its solution cap so it does not dry out.

Cheers, Hoges.

Latest posts

Back