How Much Carrageenan Into 25 Lts.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogan

Stalag Brewery
Reaction score
I found a container of Carrageenan gum that I was given yonks ago. I've wikkied but can't find a specific dose to use in place of Whirlfloc at the end of the boil.

Anyone use this seaweed extract? How much? Teaspoon for 25lts?

Cheers, Hoges.

Bump........

As this portion of a 2005 article posted on AHB re Whirlfloc states:

5. if you are adding any more than one tablet (of Whirlfloc) for 5 gallon batch, don't bother. One tablet is 2.5 times the dosage they recommend. For record: one tablet is 2.5 grams. They recommend 5 grams per hectoliter (2 tablets to about 25 gallons).

One might assume that if Whirlfloc's main ingredient is Carrageenan, then half a teaspoon (or 1.5 gms) should be sufficient in 25lts.

Your views please.

Cheers, Hoges.

One might assume that if Whirlfloc's main ingredient is Carrageenan, then half a teaspoon (or 1.5 gms) should be sufficient in 25lts.

Your views please.
Yes, that's what I was going to say, but based on the weight/use of Irish moss - which I thought was Carrageenan anyway.

(But 1 Australian teaspoon measure is 5g, so half is 2.5g).

(But 1 Australian teaspoon measure is 5g, so half is 2.5g).

I was going by the weight of a flat tsp being 2.5g and so actually 1.5g would be around a quarter tsp.

Cheers, Hoges.

Latest posts

Back