Zymurgy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
My copy of the Jan/Feb Zymurgy arrived last night. It's a fantastic issue mostly dedicated to Belgian beers and brewing, with great articles and recipes. I'd never seen a copy of Zymurgy before and I'm pretty impressed. It's got articles from Ray Daniels and Charlie Papazian and just seems to be a level above BYO. and for $10.50, it's cheaper, too. I guess I should reserve judgement untill I see a few more issues. Aparently this latest one is the first since it has been re-vamped. I don't know what the earlier versions were like, but this one is very impressive. I got mine from Grain and Grape, so I didn't have to join the AHA. i think I'll be making this a regular purchase from now on!

Cheers - Snow.

Snow said:
My copy of the Jan/Feb Zymurgy arrived last night. It's a fantastic issue mostly dedicated to Belgian beers and brewing, with great articles and recipes. I'd never seen a copy of Zymurgy before and I'm pretty impressed. It's got articles from Ray Daniels and Charlie Papazian and just seems to be a level above BYO. and for $10.50, it's cheaper, too. I guess I should reserve judgement untill I see a few more issues. Aparently this latest one is the first since it has been re-vamped. I don't know what the earlier versions were like, but this one is very impressive. I got mine from Grain and Grape, so I didn't have to join the AHA. i think I'll be making this a regular purchase from now on!

Cheers - Snow.
Snow
BYO mainly caters for the all grain brewers, with not much for the K&K or extract brewers, is Zymurgy the same.
I'm trying to find a magazine that suits us "other" brewers more.
;) :blink: ;)

BYO seems to have a decent amount of extract recipes, but with both of them being magazines for the "serious" brewer, I'd expect them both to be well targeted towards AG. From what I can tell the canned kits aren't nearly as popular back in the US as they are here. You can't even buy them in the supermarket!

Both magazines usually offer extract recipes more than all grain recipes, or offer both at the same time. However both often have articles that are just as relevant to kit brewers as they are to AG-ers, eg yeast propogation, fermentation control, equipment, beer styles, etc. Obviously if you're aiming for a specialty style like most Belgians, you're going to find it pretty hard to make an article relevant to kit-only brewers, however, with the right yeast and steeping some specialty grains, then extract or even kit brewers would find the Zymurgy articles very helpful.

- Snow

BYO is very much a beginner's mag, Zymurgy tends to
lean towards more advanced topics. Well, it used
to, I haven't seen a copy for a couple of years. Certainly since
Ray Daniels took over as editor, they have had some very good
articles.

Bring back Brewing Techniques!

So what's the vote BYO or Zymurgy as the preffered mag?

Any Adelaide brewers still getting Zymurgy?? I'd like to have a look at a recent issue before splurging. PM me if you'd rather.

The winemakers club I am a member of stopped subscribing about 3 years ago, and I haven't seen a recent one to comment on. Would love to se the Belgian info though.

Hi wee_stu

I still get it, but haven't seen Jan/Febs yet. There are some good articles in it on beer styles and the occasional gem from the Q&A section.

Cheers
Pedro

well worth a read guys.i scored a copy from grain and grape last month.great read on belgians which i intend to brew real soon.
topics covered this issue.....
12 beers you can brew
beer lovers paradise
think and brew like a belgian
brew your own belgians..tricks of the trade
the best beer festival in the world
and an article from a new book farmhouse ales.plus more

cheers
big d

Back