Zymurgy Mag And Top 4 Clone Brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score
Anyone seen the latest Zymurgy mag, It has 4 clone recipes for the top 4 boutique brews in the US.

Anchor Steam
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Pete's Wicked Ale
Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen

All with well written articles on there history and style

Anybody subscribe to Zymurgy?? What do you think of it??

I've borrowed a few issues fromthe late 90s, wandering what it is like now, compared to BYO maybe?

Hey Andrew,

Any chance of listing the recipes for the first 2 for those of us without access to the mag? Even just a basic rundown?

Shawn.

I borrowed and read Pedro's collection of Zymurgy mags from the last 4 years.

I reckon they are fairly good with some great information on styles, recipes, methods, equipment etc. Lots of stuff on American Brew Clubs as well.

It is supplemented with a fair bit of wank as well but all in all probably the best brewing mag going around, a step up from BYO IMHO!

C&B
TDA

Wee Stu,

These new issues are not a patch on the ones from the 90's (i have a Few) there half the size and they seem to be more about the american brewing association and less about actual brewing, but still a good read, and yeah I do subscribe.

Gough
you owe me a beer mate (this is a lot of typing) so here goes.

Anchor Steam All grain
4.1 k two row pale ale malt
450g caramel 40l malt (crystal)
227g Cara pils
42g Northern brewer 9% 60-90 min (whole hops)
14g Northern brewer 30 min
14 g Northern brewer 5 min
14 g cascade 5.4 % dry hop
1 tsp gypsum added to mash
whitelabs #810 or wyeast cal common
mash in @125 f for 30 min raise to 155f and hold 60 -90 min raise to 170f for mashout. boil 60-90 min ferment 60-66f for one week and transfer and dryhop for 2-3 weeks @48-50f

Sierra Nevada all grain
5k two rowpale ale malt
450g crystal malt 40-60l
28g perle hops90 min
28 g cascade 15 min
35g cascade 5 min
28 g cascade dry hop
wyeast american ale yeast
single step infusion @152f for 60 min boil for 90 min ferment in primary 1-2 weeks63-68f secondary 1-2 weeks

og 1.052 fg1.011 IBU 36-38 SRM 8-9

SH@@@@T I am thirsty now, hey where's my beer!! guess I had better start brewing

Thanks heaps Andrew - no worries on the beer. Anytime you are in Newcastle mate!

I brewed an APA style a week and a half ago as my 2nd all grain brew and my recipe wasn't a million miles from the Sierra Nevada clone listed which pleases me. I used Centennial and Cascade though and had a little more varied malt bill. Still, at least in the ball park.

Thanks again,

Shawn.

wee stu said:
Anybody subscribe to Zymurgy?? What do you think of it??
my lovely wife got my a membership to AHA last christmas. doesnt help a heck of a lot out here but it was nice. as far as i know thats the only way to get a zymurgy subscription.

as for zymurgy, i have to say i was/am a bit disappointed. a fairly thin mag which has been hit and miss from issue to issue. some have had some really good aritcles with interesting recipies. others have taken about 10 minutes to go through with no intention of being picked up again. not to mention they have all arrived at the end of their issue period (i just received the july/august issue), if at all. i understand about the extra time for shipping, but i would be interested ot know when they get delivered in the states.
havent seen BYO to compare the two.
joe

Latest posts

Back