Zombie Apocalpyse - So How Do I Get Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarniwoop

Reaction score
(OK the following really should read "where does yeast come from?" but that's boring....)

So it's the zombie apocalypse and I find myself living in a Mad Max style commune somewhere in the country, I have barley that I've managed to malt, I've found some hops that I've grown but where do I get yeast? I'm only a hair's width away from being the only source of beer in the country.

OK what I really want to know is where does yeast originate from and how do the different styles develop?

(Yes this is beer inspired)

Ok, so your first 100 or so beers will be wild/lambic brews. Yeast is present in the air and grows on most fruits. Saccharomyces cerevisiae will be one of those yeasts that will be present on grape skins with a whitish film. But S.cerevisiae has a huge number of variations. Zombie apocolypse might make this hard, but if you can streak an agar plate and isolate a single cell colony, brew a number of different beers with each different colony. Keep culturing the beer with the best flavour, if you've found one you like the flavour of, then you need to select the yeast based on flocculation and attenuation. if its not flocculant enough, reculture from the bottom of the yeast cake. If its too flocculant, culture from yeast that remains in suspension. Don't stop brewing, always keep the yeast culture alive, fermenting a batch.

If i was in a zombie apocalypse id prolly try and stay sober........

Who am i kidding??

just store up your dried yeasts. and culture and reculture.

personally, id be worried when i run outta grain and i resolve to the old sugar and bakers yeast at ambient temp method.

Find a stubbie of coopers in an abandoned liquor store...

Any homebrew bottle you find in any home will contain viable brewers yeast cells, breed them up, and away you go.

Or do the same with wild or bakers yeasts... eventually if you select from the batches which don't suck so much...

You can easily do single cell propgation in the apocolypse, after all, homebrewers use some pretty ghetto equipment ;)

let a zombie bite you and just have a thirst for brains

(OK the following really should read "where does yeast come from?" but that's boring....)

So it's the zombie apocalypse and I find myself living in a Mad Max style commune somewhere in the country, I have barley that I've managed to malt, I've found some hops that I've grown but where do I get yeast? I'm only a hair's width away from being the only source of beer in the country.

OK what I really want to know is where does yeast originate from and how do the different styles develop?

(Yes this is beer inspired)

I'm starting to think you need to lay off the crack and the AMC channel! :D

there was a previous thread going around which implies you need only a female companion and you should be set! :icon_chickcheers:

Find a stubbie of coopers in an abandoned liquor store...

Any homebrew bottle you find in any home will contain viable brewers yeast cells, breed them up, and away you go.

Or do the same with wild or bakers yeasts... eventually if you select from the batches which don't suck so much...

You can easily do single cell propgation in the apocolypse, after all, homebrewers use some pretty ghetto equipment ;)
Coopers? Really? The zombie apocalypse has come around, you're wandering round with a crowbar/axe/whatever weapon you've got, you're sneaking through a liquorland looking for craftbeer... oh okay liquorland don't really hold much in the way of belgians. point taken. Coopers or anything will suffice.

Coopers? Really? The zombie apocalypse has come around, you're wandering round with a crowbar/axe/whatever weapon you've got, you're sneaking through a liquorland looking for craftbeer... oh okay liquorland don't really hold much in the way of belgians. point taken. Coopers or anything will suffice.

Coopers is the most likely bottle conditioned beer to be in the liquor store you find which still has contents, or in someone's house, also, it's probably the most viable because the turnover on coopers is high and they're domestic.

And once you do get the yeast propagated, coopers is temperature tolerant and aggressive

As a medieval brewer... I'm fulling armed with the techniques to stay in the brewing game... :blink:

Medieval brewers and bakers would be constantly refreshing each others stock with 'good and fresh balm' and in some parts of europe is was stated in law that you must provide yeast when asked... That way when yours went bad, you could request some ffrom someone else...

I guess without realising, they were doing a great job at selectring and propagating good cultures and rejecting bad ones...

Too bad tho that although I'd be able to keep brewing (with oak mashtuns if needed), I'd be too fat and slow to avoid getting eaten... Urp...

Interesting thread because while watching The Walking Dead one night I thought to myself, How the hell would you brew beer if this ever did happen..

Im taking notes... :icon_cheers:

As a medieval brewer... I'm fulling armed with the techniques to stay in the brewing game... :blink:

Medieval brewers and bakers would be constantly refreshing each others stock with 'good and fresh balm' and in some parts of europe is was stated in law that you must provide yeast when asked... That way when yours went bad, you could request some ffrom someone else...

I guess without realising, they were doing a great job at selectring and propagating good cultures and rejecting bad ones...

Too bad tho that although I'd be able to keep brewing (with oak mashtuns if needed), I'd be too fat and slow to avoid getting eaten... Urp...

Ah that's one of the first rules on how to survive in the film Zombieland - Cardio!

Medieval brewing sounds interesting, do you have any links that describe the beers and processes?

Back