Zip For Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wax

Reaction score
I'm back on my hlt hunt. I can't find an Urn (at the right price) but Ive managed to source a zip electric water heater. The square wall mounted units you find in offices everywhere. I was planning on using this (with a bit of modification) as a hlt. The only issue I can see with using it is the preset temp in these bad boys is pretty way to high for my purposes.

I figure I have two options
I could rip it apart and change the preset temp.
Or preferably use some sort of temp controller to turn the power to the unit on and off. This would be idea as it would allow me to set different temps.

Has anyone out there used a zip as a hlt? Any advice on how I could modify it would be greatly appreciated.

I looked at one of these type of things at first too Wax , they are not made for a large volume of water , couple of cups of coffee perhaps

You will find the temperture will drop off heaps if you try to take 20 plus litres out , in fact it will only run warmish and that's not what you require for AG

Temperture is so important you really can't use one of these with success

Sorry...Keep looking

Batz

Thanks Batz, well at least I'll be able to have a nice cup of tea while I'm brewing.

Try it Wax
If you can work out what your temperture will be at a given volume , well perhaps it will be OK

I think they have a good element in them Wax ;)

If it's 2400W or under you'd be right to retrofit the element into another suitable vessel (be it a bucket, keg, esky even) and then just use an extension lead. I'm sure you could work something out. I initially was going to use an old esky with a kettle element in it for my HLT, but it was a dodgey old esky and made the water taste plasticy (a newer one wouldn't). But this is a cheap alternative.

But if your really stuck for a HLT vessel and want a really cheap one why not just get one of the thicker walled 25L buckets and mount one or two kettle elements in the side and a tap on the front. I think you would find that they would seal fine. Make a bulk head kind of arangement for the tap and you can mount a ball valve tap. Then when you up grade later you can use these items in your new HLT.

You could also make a simple sight gauge on it by finding something that floats and tying a piece of string to it with a nut on the end. The floating bit sits on the water level and the string and nut go up over the side. As the water goes down the nut makes it's way up the side. If you play about you can calibrate with some marks on the side to show the volume in litres if you want.

I think people getting into all grain neglect the fact that a couple of cheap buckets can get you into all grain really really cheaply and effectivly.

Just some ideas anyway, after all it just heats and holds water.

Cheers, Justin

Latest posts

Back