Your Keg Hlt/boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Lets say you were lucky enough to legally score a 50 lt keg
Now you have drilled and fitted a very nice stainless steal tap that a good friend gave you
It sits 40mm or so above the keg bottom because of the concave shape , so what do we do ?
Will a stainless tube going to the bottom siphon out the remaining wort ?
Found the remainding liqiud to be quite a bit , to much to chuck out

funny you should mention that batz.
ive come across the same problem and have been thinking of ways around this.
other than an elbow at the end of the tube im thinking about putting the pipe into a hydraulic pipe bender and giving it about a 15-20 degree bend.this should have the pipe sitting closer to the concave base.
i will pm you and let you know how it goes.

oh yeah if the tube is near the bottom and your system is gravity or pumped it will drain out to the tube inlet level.

cheers
big d

you can use a tube inside going to the tap bent down a bit with a S/S pot scrubber attached to the end as a filter. This works well and is a common practice.
Of course the more pro version would be a boozaka type mesh screen on the tube or a false bottom with the outlet tube going underneath.

What i do is factor in 2 litres of wort lost to the trub into the recipes.
using software it does all these calcs automaticaly for every brew when you first type in your system specs.

With my main boiler I factor in the 3.6 litres of dead space below the tap as part of my calculations in Promash.
However in reality when I have the immersion chiller in there as well the displacement that causes means it isn't quite that much.
Also when using hop plugs or flowers that amount of space is usually consumed by them.

If I do need an extra litre or so of wort then I gently tilt the boiler to get a bit more out.

Beers,
Doc

Back