Your Favourite Tasted, Your Favourite Made ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleman

Reaction score
Heres something ive thought about for a while, and have been curious in asking as many brewers possible.

What is the best commercial beer ( your favourite )...you have tasted.

And what is the best ever tasting beer you have ever made, to your palate. You know the one.......you wish the glass never ended.

Me, theres a bit of a contrast. Both Ales, but very contrasting.

My favourite brew commercially, and the one i love to drink for pure taste ( took a lot of thought )......is Coopers Special Old Stout.

In winter its a real divine drop from heaven. Rich and creamy. I wont go on..........................

The best ever brew ive made, to my tastes.....was a partial mash kit ( Grumpys Boston Cream )...with a US56.

Something went very right with this particular brew, and ive never come close to quality in a home brew since. It was done to perfection, and tasted as such.

Anyway, would love to hear what two brews have turned you ga ga !!

Commercial and Homebrew. :beerbang: .........lots of honesty required.

Cheers.

Commercial, have a lot of favs but up there would be: Schneider's Aventinus Doppelbock

Brewed: My JSV Tribute Porter (Scored Bronze in the 2006 Mash Paddle)

Commercial:

Boddingtons on tap via hand pump, The Bath Hotel, Morecambe, North West of England - I grew up on it.

Home made:

I have to say my new Dortmunder (Trough Lollys recipe) has to be the best ive made. So much so im making another this Saturday.

Cheers
Steve

as far as commercials go i'd have to say Duvel, i'v only ever had 3 but have always enjoyed it, still havn't tryed making it but have read quite a few threads on it and hope to brew one soon

home mades, grumpy's belgian wit was my fav. so far with my 80/- a very close second, i'm still a baby at 20 brews tho

-Phill

Rich and creamy. I wont go on..........................
that's where palates are so different. I found it dry like licking dust from a dusty shelf in some old shearers quarters, and tasting like wet dirt. The last 2 words I'd ever use would be "rich" and "creamy" :)

Way too hard to pick one commercial beer of all time way out in front of others but for beers crafted by myself it was a american brown ale that was to die for and will be remembered fondly forever.

Boozed, broozed and broken boned.
Jayse

Best Comercial: Samuel Adams Boston Lager, Duvel or Youngs Double Chocolate Stout.

Best ive made: Well my first AG and only one which is ready for drinking: Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale. But have 4 more lined up so that will probably change.

Best commercial: Chimay Grande Reserve, enough said I think!

Best HB: Best currently my second AG; an IPA. Hopefully still much more improvement on numbers 3 and 4 which are currently maturing.

Nailing it down to one is a tough choice. Budvar for lager and any english ale served via a handpump at the proper temperature in england.

Homebrew - Has to be a blackrock nut brown ale with 1.5kg liquid amber malt. yet to progress past K&K but this stuff is very nice. that and a ginger beer from scratch. good summer drink.

when you get a good bottle, Orval beats everything - most amazing lumpy creamy head, perfect combination of warm malt, flowery hops and tasty funk.

my favourite beer i brewed would be the gouden carolus clone i did this time last year. after 6 months it was really mellow. i'm slowly learning not to do something whacky with every single batch and to concentrate on balance. must be getting old.

i'm slowly learning not to do something whacky with every single batch and to concentrate on balance. must be getting old.
:D you too eh?

Commercial: Coopers Vintage Ale on tap at Adelaide Airport, Delirium Tremens, LCPA
Home Made: cracked the first of my latest batch of Mild Bitter last night and nailed it. Beats out my previous favourite English Pale Ale. Time will tell if it beats out my PBR Pils.

I'm sure there are separate threads on each of these questions somewhere but I can't find them anywhere.

There's no way I can give one definitive answer to either, so I'll just offer the two I really feel like drinking right now.

Commercial: Girardin (oud) Lambik - the ultimate combination of complexity and drinkability. Unbelievable stuff.

HB: Rauchbier from 2005 - lovely soft grainy malt and round smoke. I desperately need to brew some more.

Best Commercial - This is just too hard to pin down, but either a never heard of before locally brewed hand pumped ale in a small English Country Pub, or a Belgian Dubbel enjoyed in the town square in Brugge, of course!

Best homebrew so far - A Toucan Stout I did last year. Too easy and too damn tasty. One longneck and 2 stubbies remain, awaiting St Paddy's Day.

I'm with Screwtop, there are a lot: but - Schneider's Aventinus Doppelbock, 3 Pistoles, 3 Monts and Bush 12 would have to be high up in the list.
Best I've brewed would be a partial IPA that I'm still tweaking as a AG.

I'm sure there are separate threads on each of these questions somewhere but I can't find them anywhere.

Yea i thought there might have been Mal. But if you run the site just on doing searches, it would be very boring.

I thought i'd combine the two, just to see if other brewers try and emulate their favourite brews, and to see what others tastes are. :beerbang:

Yea i thought there might have been Mal. But if you run the site just on doing searches, it would be very boring.

I thought i'd combine the two, just to see if other brewers try and emulate their favourite brews, and to see what others tastes are. :beerbang:

I'll certainly be trying to clone the 3 Pistols and Aventinus, as long as I get in the ball park I'll be happy :rolleyes:

Agreed. It was more a suggestion to give them a look if you're keen to see what other people's favourite brews are. I would provide links but I'm getting donuts from the search facility on this site. :angry:

Commercial: an aged Gouden Carolus Grand Cru de Kaiser...

Mine?

Early days but my Belgian Dark is looking good

Otherwise probably a toss up between my E=SB3 and Red Baron Bitter...

Back