Your Favourite Belgian Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm heading off to Scotland for my sister's wedding in two weeks.
I just discovered my nephew, a truckie, is driving into Belgium just now so I'm compiling a shopping list for him to pick up for me.

So far I'm thinking about:

Rochefort 8 & 10
Westmalle Tripel
La Chouffe
Chimay Grande Reserve
Gulden Draak
Saison Dupont
Hoegaarden Grand Cru

I don't want to go for the more obscure ones as he'll just be getting what's available in supermarkets there.

Anything else you think I could add to the list?

Campbell
who's ashamed to admit when he spent time in Belgium years ago, drank nothing but Stella

Off the top of my head he might be able to score some of these-
Boon, 3 Fonteinen or any other non-Inbev lambic
De Ranke XX Bitter
Petrus Oud Bruin
Saison de Pipaix
and a bunch of beer glasses :)

Most of the ones on your list you could get here, with a bit of digging - although they'll be in far better condition up there.
Have a good trip mate, don't freeze ya goolies off if you go regimental. :)

Off the top of my head he might be able to score some of these-
Boon, 3 Fonteinen or any other non-Inbev lambic
De Ranke XX Bitter
Petrus Oud Bruin
Saison de Pipaix
and a bunch of beer glasses :)

Most of the ones on your list you could get here, with a bit of digging - although they'll be in far better condition up there.
Have a good trip mate, don't freeze ya goolies off if you go regimental. :)

I know you can get them here but at what price!!
Hopefully getting them there they'll be cheap as chips.
I'm going to get him to look out for Beer + Glass gift packs.

Thanks for the input

Campbell

I definitely recall Delhaize stocking several Cantillon brands and Mort Subite Oude Gueuze (and it's probably the right time of year for their Oude Kriek too), as well as Achel and a few other interesting things.

If you just want cheap stuff in bulk get him to stop at a "drankencentrale" - they're dotted along main roads and will sell all the big brands in bulk by the case. Some will sell singles. Noel Cuvelier's is a famous one just off the road back to Calais near Poperinge.

But geez, please don't go all that way and just drink beers you can get here just to save yourself a few bucks! There's an incredible world of beer out there - get amongst it.

I definitely recall Delhaize stocking several Cantillon brands and Mort Subite Oude Gueuze (and it's probably the right time of year for their Oude Kriek too), as well as Achel and a few other interesting things.

If you just want cheap stuff in bulk get him to stop at a "drankencentrale" - they're dotted along main roads and will sell all the big brands in bulk by the case. Some will sell singles. Noel Cuvelier's is a famous one just off the road back to Calais near Poperinge.

But geez, please don't go all that way and just drink beers you can get here just to save yourself a few bucks! There's an incredible world of beer out there - get amongst it.

You're right. The trouble is I don't know what the shops he'll be in will have but I've had a rethink and am at the moment pasting pics of a heap of bottles into a word doc so he can just look along the shelves until he finds one that matches.

Campbell

Latest posts

Back