Your favourite aroma hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcp

poפ ɹǝǝq
Reaction score
Just harvested my hops (saaz, kent goldings & cluster)... but for next year thinking of replacing them all with one, maybe two hops for APAs /American IPAs - a space thing really. I was originally thinking Cascade, but began to wonder if there's a hop I'm not familiar with that might be another option. I only use my hop flowers for dry hopping.

But hop aroma isn't limited to whatever I grow, obviously.

So I'm interested in hearing about hops people have come to love aroma for different styles.

Anything american, as I love APA/AIPA - but Cascade is flexible enough to work with a great deal of hops. Easy and cheap to get hold of and pretty forgiving if you overdo it.

If you're looking for unsung heroes - I reckon Willamette and Chinook are for English Bitters (just a little) or Southern Brown, and Chinook gives a wonderful piney aroma (and flavour) that, when you've had enough passionfruit/fruitsalad beers, will give you enough to cut through it, whilst still retaining the critical APA elements.

My favourite is obviously Citra. Man alive that hop does everything.

The "never dry hop" hops are definitely Galaxy, and Nelson needs to be handled with care (though is great at 10 minutes in the right doses).

Citra. Hands down, it's the best hop ever bred. Can't fault the stuff.

I just done an all galaxy lager with BB pale malt, wheat and Sanfran lager strain. Dry hopped with 2 Grams of galaxy in the keg per Litre as a dry hopping experiment.
At first, I thought I had destroyed a great subtle Galaxy lager because it was insanely bitter and overpowering . But after 2 weeks in it cleared up and smoothed out great, most amazing hoppy lager I have ever made, Love it and id do it again.

Aside from that I think Citra is amazing. But actually quite like EKG as well for dry hopping english styles

Citra, mosaic, Amarillo, centennial and cascade in that order..

Recently keg hopped with simcoe and citra and omfg.. Only left it for 36 hours and after 3 days it is to drool for.

I've come to realise that I'm not really a big all Amarillo fan. That being said, I've had brewed 3 brews in the last month with only Amarillo. I've keg hopped with either cascade or centennial and I love the combination of it with something else. I do love Citra as well so will be playing around with this a bit in the future.

I'd have to lean towards centennial. I think it just works with so many other hops. I need to get my hands on mosaic though since Yob's rates it so highly.

Add one more vote for Centennial.

I just did a SMaSH with maris otter and centennial and it's pretty awesome. I have to admit that I made it pretty hoppy so it overpowers the maris otter, but that citrusy, piney, resiny centennial is great.

EDIT: Although I haven't used it very much (once I think), amarillo must be decent because my LHBS says it's unavailable - people must have bought it all :D

Byran said:
I just done an all galaxy lager with BB pale malt, wheat and Sanfran lager strain. Dry hopped with 2 Grams of galaxy in the keg per Litre as a dry hopping experiment.
At first, I thought I had destroyed a great subtle Galaxy lager because it was insanely bitter and overpowering . But after 2 weeks in it cleared up and smoothed out great, most amazing hoppy lager I have ever made, Love it and id do it again.

Aside from that I think Citra is amazing. But actually quite like EKG as well for dry hopping english styles

Off topic but I'm so glad you said that.

I have an all Galaxy extract pale ale bottle conditioning and my first taste a week and a half in was like being punched in the face by passionfruit, just a little overpowering. I had a feeling it would mellow out nicely but the confirmation is gonna let me stop stressing over it.

Amarillo, Pacifica or Motueka - I like em all

Commercial: Styrians, EKG, Cascade, then it's all predicatable (as if those three weren't - C hops bla bla bla).

Of my homegrowns my fave hops are cascade and columbus. My chinook is good, but it is not at all like commercial chinook (an old thread once had some conjecture that it was closer to being a an NZ b-Saaz type flavour but I'm not sure I'll throw my hat into that ring).

Latest posts

Back