Your Experience With Wlp800

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Reaction score
I have used this yeast twice now, and both times it has finished higher than i expected.

My most recent brew was a lager (mostly pils with a bit of crystal) with some adjunct (about .8kg of rice and about .4ish of white sugar). It seems to have finished (been 2.5 weeks at 12 degrees and 1 week at ambient room temp) and its at about 1.019. I thought it would have finished lower, given that i mashed low (64ish) and had reasonably high levels of adjunct. I was hoping for a dry beer (its supposed to be bland as it will be a base for experiments) but i'm worried it will be a bit cloying now.

I'm wondering if general consensus is that this yeast finishes high, or if this brew has stalled?

Cheers

hi ,
any off flavours or hints of a stressed yeast?

I did a pilsner with WLP830 and got horrible, synthetic banana flavors.
After posting a question on here I buy the explanation I got saying I probably did not use enough yeast and probably did not aerate enough for the low temperature I fermented at.
My did not finish that high, but I have understood that a high finishing gravity could be another indication of underpitching/not enough oxygen early on.

Just another thing to consider at least,

Bjorn

That yeast takes for EVA.

It's Wyeast 2001 I think. Yup, for EVA.

It probably hasn't stalled, it's just "fermentation challenged" and needs remedial classes.

Bung in some S23 @12C and be done with it!

I have a blend of S23 and 2001 for this very reason. It's the best lager yeast blend ... in the world. Like a busy, frantic prostitute with OCD, it's clean and quick.

How much yeast did you use? and what was the OG? Pitching temp?

lagers require a shit ton of yeast, especially if you're pitching cold.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Doesnt taste off or have any flavours that might suggest that the yeast were stressed, but i'd say thats what it was... I agree- the bloody yeast takes forever. Last time i used it i went away for 3.5 weeks and left it to do its thing...

Og was 1.043, was pitched cold and i used a starter, though i dont think it was big enough- hence my problem. I have pitched some fresh yeast, unfortunately i only had a dry pack of yeast (some cascade bohemian stuff...)

oh well, see how we go. Only cost a few bucks for the batch anyway...

I pitched a smack pack of 2001 into a 22C (18L) wort of Boh Pils and the fecker didn't kick off before it cooled to 11C ... about 4 days later it was sitting on the bottom like a stoner asleep in the back of his Kombie.

I brought it back up to 20C and back down hoping to give it a kick in the pants, and I got some whispy foam on the surface and a couple of SG points. This is a week after pitching, so I'm worried about its ability to stave off foreign critters at this stage.

In goes the S23 - next day I have a vigorous fermenter destined to be beer within a week!

Strange thing is ... it didn't taste like it was fermented with S23. Almost like the 2001 saw it was going to lose it's feed and the stoner put on a suit and got busy.

Now it's my go-to yeast for lagers.

Blending two strains to get the best of both rocks.

Latest posts

Back