Young's Double Choc Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopdog

Reaction score
Hi guys, last night i tried youngs double choc stout for the first time and thought it was unreal :beerbang: . just wondering if anyone has a extract recipe for this.

cheers :icon_cheers:

Having made a AG clone that was very close, I can throw you a few bones, even though I won't have a full recipe for you.

I would start with your Stout kit, and add enough pale malt extract to get your desired OG.

My recipe had 20g of chocolate malt which you could steep and it had 230g of cocoa powder which could be dissolved into the fermenter, or dissolved into your brew pot if you are doing partial boils.

I have heard people comment that they have added fat free chocolate topping to get the very rich Cadbury's chocolate flavour that the Young's beer has.

Well it is a start anyway, I am sure someone else will offer a few more suggestions.

Young's use chocolate essence in their DCS. You can get immitation choc essence from some supermarkets in the cake section. I find that a 1/2 tspn in a longneck imparts a nice choc flavour to a stout. Err on the side of caution, you dont want it overly chocolate as it should only be there in supporting role.

Cheers

Hey all,
I am making my version of a Youngs Chocolate on friday. Have done some reading on here and worked out using ian spread sheet this recipe

1.5kg LME (light)
1.5kg LME (dark)
200g Chocolate crystal 600
500g maltdextrine

45min boil 6L
50g fuggles 45min
20g goldings 30min
100g dark chocolate 5min
20g goldings 0min

Should I be adding the dark chocolate at this stage or will it lose its flavour during the ferment should I add it to secondary during racking

Cheers Stu

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...&recipe=848

This recipe is in the fermenter using 1469 Yorkshire. The gravity has been at 20 for past 5 days (total ferment time of 2 weeks so far). Recipe suggests final gravity of 17. I was 2 points under OG so thought it should get to around 15. I was thinking of either trying to rouse yeast (via stuck ferment article) or bottling with half priming sugar. I know stouts need less carbonation anyway. Any thoughts?

Post a photo of yourself first. I don't just whisper nothings to anybody.

Coincidentally just had a Young's double choc and really struggled to finish it. I like other Young's products but this just tastes like bland base beer with chocolate essence. Don't know if it's better fresh on tap.

hairhair1.jpg

Get right up close and whisper.

110.jpg

Can you feel my sweet breath upon your ear?

Rouse forst.

proime lator

pog ma hoin

Coincidentally just had a Young's double choc and really struggled to finish it. I like other Young's products but this just tastes like bland base beer with chocolate essence. Don't know if it's better fresh on tap.

+1 on the bland taste, but as a base recipe this would be a goodie that one could ad some more hoppy/malt flavour to.
Gees you blokes just saved a lotta stuffing around by not having to join a dating service :p :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back