Quantcast

You Know While Im At Work...

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

pr1me

Reaction score
... I'd kill for a web based chat room....

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I'd be up for that too.
I've been on Ratchat (on Skotrat.com) from work before as it has two modes, full graphics, and text mode.
But it would be nice to chat to all the Oz brewers, rather than pissed yanks as it is their night-time.

Beers,
Doc

joecast

Eat, drink...and drink some more.
Reaction score
while i can pretty much view anything on the internet from work, they do monitor content and hours and download amounts. a chat room would be good, but easily get me in trouble.
joe

wee stu

wee stu's brury - hand made beers, award winning l
Reaction score
Chat rooms are a hanging offence in my workplace. :(
Discussion boards are OK "if not abused", keep waiting for the not so friendly tap on the shoulder! :unsure:

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Same as you wee stu ,

I could find myself leaving before I was ready :(

pr1me

Reaction score
i used to be a network admin, give me a job and ill make your place of work a paradise for brewers ;-)

dane

Reaction score
I have always had issues with web-based chat systems, unless they are simply tunnels into a proper irc chan.

I think the only way this will work properly is to setup a #ahb irc chan on efnet say and then people can access it directly via Mirc (or similar client) or through a web-based irc client.

My only problem is setting up bots and things like that.

I will look into this week.

I will hopefull try and get some of the boards issue sorted out in the near future.

pr1me

Reaction score
irc is a great platform for chat(spent too many years there), unfortunately 99% of admins block the irc ports by default(bastards), whereas a dedicated coded html based chat doesnt send up the same sort of alarms and connection problems for those at work.

dane

Reaction score
That is only true for a specific IRC client - if it is tunneled via http (port80) then it is fine (although i'm not sure if your network admin will like it....)

Something like this : http://chat.efnet.info/irc.cgi

I am unable to get onto irc here through Mirc but can get onto efnet fine with that web-based irc chat. Thats what I think I am currently going to look at for AHB's chat (unless someone can point me to a fast and decent html/mysql/php/etc chat script???)

Thoughts?

pr1me

Reaction score
yeah aslong as its tunneled its usually cool, only firewalls like ISA can block port 80 tunneled traffic packet by packet.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I feel there are certain features that you have to look for in a chat board.
There are the obvious ones that have already been discused such as text based modes (eg not obvious to the boss), but also full featured ones that allow you to post/link to picture and external content.
Likewise the ability to tunnel through corporate proxies. I know this is a lot to ask from a single and freeware style of a product, but it is these limitations that would stop it from being something that was able to be used by the greater community.
As mentioned in a previous post the closest I've come across is Skotrat chat especially as it works also on port 80.

Beers,
Doc

dane

Reaction score
Doc,

The Skotrat Chat is more of a message board to me....no really a live updating system that I would call a chat.

To be honest I'm not sure how different that is to a forum thread? You can post pictures, be alerted when you get a reply, etc.

I was thinking more along the lines of http://chat.efnet.info/

This is a cgi based web chat system that tunnels onto an irc chan that I (will/have) setup. I was testing this last night and it seems to run very fast and will work through corporate proxies etc.

People who are familar with IRC can simply use their IRC client to chat as well.

Thoughts?

Latest posts