Yoghurt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wambesi

brewer
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

A few people have asked about yoghurt's that I have made so I thought I would write up how I make it.
I know it's not really a brew food, but something else that we can make up if you want.

First off, the cultures I use I have bought from cheeselinks, they have a couple there. The one I am currently using is the Type C aBt starter.

Yes you can use starter from store bought natural yoghurt, but from what I tried out it always turned out to be a little (or a lot) sour, and these cultures make a damn fine yoghurt!
Yes there is also the easy-yo in the supermarkets, but I don't see the point in these as I am doing this from scratch, not packet mixes!

Anyway here we go:

Ingredients:
1L UHT Milk (plain ol brand about $1.09)
4 Tbsp skim milk powder
Culture
Flavour if needed or wanted (sugar, syrups etc)
Containers of sorts (Jalna brand yoghurt are excellent)

Method:
Microwave milk to approx 43 deg (about 2min10sec in my 1200w unit)
Put skim milk powder into mixing bowl
add milk, whisk until dissolved
Add flavourings if desired

Add culture to the containers (about 20grains per 1L it says, I do a bit here and a bit there) , pour yogurt mixture into containers.
Incubate at 43deg or so for 8 hours
Refrigerate and done!

Notes
You don't have to use UHT milk, and a lot of people taste the difference, IMO this turns out fine yoghurt - but I don't drink it from the packet as milk!
If you don't want it so thick and creamy omit (or lessen) the skim milk powder.
Skim milk can be used as well, but you may need to add more skim milk powder if you find it not as thick.

Not exactly sure how long it can keep for, longest we have had it in the fridge was two weeks, normally it goes within a few days to a week!
Tasted fine at the two week mark though.

I use my hot/cold electric esky with fridgemate to keep it at a constant temp, before this I used a normal esky and simply filled it up to just below the lid level of the containers of water at 43 deg or so, and checked each hour to adjust if needed.

Flavorings
I regularly use the Gloria Jeans syrups (available from their stores) or others from supermarkets.
The vanilla and macadamia have been big hits, for 1L I usually add 2 shots (about 60mL) of the syrup. (adjust to taste)

For my kids I add 8 tsp of strawberry Nesquick for an easy strawberry one.
Used Milo once - never again! Just wasn't right!

Other things you can add are jams and other pureed fruit, these are best added after the yoghurt is ready IMO, usually in the bowl just before eating - I don't like the idea of the fruit sitting at 40 odd degree's not knowing exactly what could be lurking in there with it.

----------------------------------------

Well there it is, my method for homemade yoghurt. Once you have done it a few times it gets very quick, two batches (my normal weekend job) takes around 10-15mins to prepare then the esky finishes it off.

Pretty easy and very tasty, cheap too. An average flavoured batch works out to be about $3.20 a litre for a very nice vanilla yoghurt or $1.80 for a litre of very nice natural yoghurt which can be used as a replacement for sour cream in many other recipes/dishes.

Enjoy!

Hey,

I used to make my own yoghurt for a while using a very similar recipe, though I used a culture from a store bought yoghurt.

Another, very simple way to keep the yoghurt at the right temp for the 8 hours is to put it into a thermos flask. Chuck some hot water in it for around 10 minutes to get it up to temperature, empty that out then put your soon-to-be-yoghurt into it.

I used to leave my for 24 hours and produced a very nice yoghurt.

gary

Hey,

I used to make my own yoghurt for a while using a very similar recipe, though I used a culture from a store bought yoghurt.

Another, very simple way to keep the yoghurt at the right temp for the 8 hours is to put it into a thermos flask. Chuck some hot water in it for around 10 minutes to get it up to temperature, empty that out then put your soon-to-be-yoghurt into it.

I used to leave my for 24 hours and produced a very nice yoghurt.

gary

That sure is another method, and a good one too however it would not work for my recipe above as the consistency is very thick and creamy. Ie. you can pretty much turn it upside down and it doesn't move alot! Although if you stir it, it's consistency changes more like store bought yoghurt.

That's why I really like the Jalna containers, set them in it and you can either eat directly from them or spoon it into a bowl.

In saying all that, I know people who do use the thermos method well, mainly using either natural yoghurt cultures or the easy-yo packets.

So why did you stop making yoghurt? If I stopped I'd be in big trouble, everyone eats it like there's no tomorrow here!

Cheers!

I make a lot of yoghurt as my wife is lactose intolerant. I use the latase enzymes and make a lactose free yoghurt for her. The trick is timing the addition of the enzyme so it doesn't impact the activity of the starter (which eats lactose), doesn't affect the set when you stir it in and still converts all the residual lactose. If anyone else is interested I'll post my method.

Edit: I also do lactose free sour cream adn cultured butter...

Cheers
Dave

Im going to give this a go

Bought some Jalna yoghurt today so I can keep the containers :)

Im going to give this a go

Bought some Jalna yoghurt today so I can keep the containers :)

Good stuff, let us know how you go.
I need to buy more myself, with the orders from work each weekend now I am running out of containers for my own!

Latest posts

Back