Yet-to-brew Seeking New Equip.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerardic

Reaction score
Hey all,

Been planning to start homebrewing for some times, and failed twice before with a friend's equipment (I started brew in middle of summer and had trouble keeping it cool!)

But this time I am more determined to do it right, with my own equipment. So I like to ask for your tips, suggestions and help in making a shopping list.

I am going to start with beginner kit using extracts, but before I buy something like http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/afawcs013382...uctdetails.html

I want to ensure the investment I make can be worth bringing over to all-grain. Since I am only starting kit/extract for the time being to get it right, understanding the brew process more before going onto partial and all-grain.
I also have an eye on http://www.esbrewing.com.au/mash-starter-kit-ale.html Oh I also got myself a Brooklyn 1 gallon Brew Kit.

However, i would like your opinion, perhaps even a shopping list. I wonder which homebrewing store should I source my shopping from? Cellar Plus or Grain and Grape? I live in Carlton North, in a flat. I intend to do most of the brewing in the kitchen, even may set up a rig there.

Budget: Reasonable, I am happy to invest in say glass carboys, and stainless steel conial, kettle, mash tun 23 litres, but not $2500 automatic brewmaster, mainly because I like to do things manually and have separated rather than all-in-one, and possible flexibility to upgrade in future for digitalising and plumbing. Sadly I lack any skills such as welding that i could convert an old keg or esky into brewing setup.

Spend your initial cash on setting up your fermentation routine. 2nd hand fridge or freezer of ebay (around $50) a temp controller like the STC-1000 and a heat belt. Even the most basic kit beer will taste a million times better than feremting with no temp control in the spring and summer. Good luck!

If the budget can stand it I would make the move straight away to kegs rather than bottles. I wish I had done it years ago, so much quicker and convenient!

good luck

for me

fermentation temperature control, -- So a fridge and heat belt, type arrangement
Hydrometer/Refactometer
A fermentation vessel (can be fermenters/cubes/jerries) etc..
Bottles
Bottle filler
Sanitisers

Start with a can of goo and a kilo or BE, and get the fermentation temperature control understood. (e.g keep at 18 Degree's for a week before you look at it) Chill it down for a couple of days before you bottle it. Then try the same can of goo with maybe malt not sugarz, and a "good" yeast, maybe even some hops.

Then buy a 40 ltr urn, a BIAB bag, and order cracked grain and yeast from G+G and start the slippery slope to AG then move to kegs.

Hey all,

Been planning to start homebrewing for some times, and failed twice before with a friend's equipment (I started brew in middle of summer and had trouble keeping it cool!)

But this time I am more determined to do it right, with my own equipment. So I like to ask for your tips, suggestions and help in making a shopping list.

I am going to start with beginner kit using extracts, but before I buy something like http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/afawcs013382...uctdetails.html

I want to ensure the investment I make can be worth bringing over to all-grain. Since I am only starting kit/extract for the time being to get it right, understanding the brew process more before going onto partial and all-grain.
I also have an eye on http://www.esbrewing.com.au/mash-starter-kit-ale.html Oh I also got myself a Brooklyn 1 gallon Brew Kit.

However, i would like your opinion, perhaps even a shopping list. I wonder which homebrewing store should I source my shopping from? Cellar Plus or Grain and Grape? I live in Carlton North, in a flat. I intend to do most of the brewing in the kitchen, even may set up a rig there.

Budget: Reasonable, I am happy to invest in say glass carboys, and stainless steel conial, kettle, mash tun 23 litres, but not $2500 automatic brewmaster, mainly because I like to do things manually and have separated rather than all-in-one, and possible flexibility to upgrade in future for digitalising and plumbing. Sadly I lack any skills such as welding that i could convert an old keg or esky into brewing setup.

Mashmaster MiniMill with handle & hopper $291.80
Crown 40lt exposed element urn $259.00
Roasting rack from Robin's kitchen $16.00 ( to keep bag off the element )
Brew in a bag grain bag $24.90
24'x24' grain bag for hop additions $6.95
Digital stick thermometer $19.95
A temperature controlled bar fridge is a must have to ferment your beer
Temperature controller, TempMate are really good $74.50
Hydrometer with hydrometer jar $25.40
No chill cube $17.90

For under $1000.00 you can be making some fantastic beers with Brew In A Bag in the electric urn.

Your One Stop Shop

Spend your initial cash on setting up your fermentation routine. 2nd hand fridge or freezer of ebay (around $50) a temp controller like the STC-1000 and a heat belt. Even the most basic kit beer will taste a million times better than feremting with no temp control in the spring and summer. Good luck!

Yes I am looking at fridges right now, thanks for the tip on STC-1000. I am wondering whether STC would work on old fridges? vintage ones like 1950s?
To give me better understanding, how does the set up work? Heatpad inside the fridge connected to STC-1000, allowing STC to heat using heat pad, or cool using fridge right?

If the budget can stand it I would make the move straight away to kegs rather than bottles. I wish I had done it years ago, so much quicker and convenient!

good luck

Yes I am going directly to kegs, one 19 litres, and two 9.5 litres as I have a few bottles and some pint sizes, that I may want to mix up, some bottling, some kegged. Also can I 'bottle' them in Growlers? Or better off just pouring beers into Growler from the keg to go out?

for me

fermentation temperature control, -- So a fridge and heat belt, type arrangement
Hydrometer/Refactometer
A fermentation vessel (can be fermenters/cubes/jerries) etc..
Sanitisers

Start with a can of goo and a kilo or BE, and get the fermentation temperature control understood. (e.g keep at 18 Degree's for a week before you look at it) Chill it down for a couple of days before you bottle it. Then try the same can of goo with maybe malt not sugarz, and a "good" yeast, maybe even some hops.

Then buy a 40 ltr urn, a BIAB bag, and order cracked grain and yeast from G+G and start the slippery slope to AG then move to kegs.
I am sorry but what is BE? Refactometer is new to me, kinda brought out the geekiness in me >.> Thanks for the tips.

Mashmaster MiniMill with handle & hopper $291.80
Crown 40lt exposed element urn $259.00
Roasting rack from Robin's kitchen $16.00 ( to keep bag off the element )
Brew in a bag grain bag $24.90
24'x24' grain bag for hop additions $6.95
Digital stick thermometer $19.95
A temperature controlled bar fridge is a must have to ferment your beer
Temperature controller, TempMate are really good $74.50
Hydrometer with hydrometer jar $25.40
No chill cube $17.90

For under $1000.00 you can be making some fantastic beers with Brew In A Bag in the electric urn.

Your One Stop Shop

Excellent help, that list definitely help. The shop is in QLD, and I am in Victoria, so I guess shipping is expensive? But I guess I can look for same things in Vic.

Yes I am looking at fridges right now, thanks for the tip on STC-1000. I am wondering whether STC would work on old fridges? vintage ones like 1950s?
To give me better understanding, how does the set up work? Heatpad inside the fridge connected to STC-1000, allowing STC to heat using heat pad, or cool using fridge right?
STC plugged into powerpoint.
Fridge & Heatbelt plugged into STC
probe dangled inside fridge
STC turns one or the other on/off to keep temp steady at your preset temp.
No modifications required to your fridge at all (apart from removing shelves to fit the fermenter of course).

I started in extracts, made some good beers - best advice I can give is read a few books. It doesnt sound exciting but trust me I dont read much at all, not even a newspaper but I brought "How to Brew"by Joh Palmer - http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/How-Brew-J...r/9780937381885 $17.67 Free delivery!

Invest in a pot that you can boil extracts in AND can be converted to a mash tun/ Hot liquid tank when you go AG. I have a $20 19L SS stock pot from big W works well as a mash tun now im no longer doing extracts, I will be buying a larger one in the future and this will become the HLT.

G&G are great for advice and do a practical brew every 2nd Saturday morning. Next one is 22nd September - Brew in a Bag (BIAB) then 13th October - Gravity & Braumeister. Go to one of thease days before you invest too heavily they are great for advice and wont just sell you stuff from the store. One of them told me to buy an STC-1000 from ebay and wire it up, and not to spend the $190 on the one thay have. Cant beat that for good advice :)

$300 !!?? - or the main things you need from a kit from GnG:
* Starter Brewing Kits $89
* Capper - Super Automatica $59
[assuming you're not jumping into kegging straight away
and not using coopers PET bottles with twist caps]

Yeah, I saw the prices, and was feeling something wasn't right, and not sure if it was worth investing, hence why I started this thread. Good thing I did!!!
I am jumping straight into kegs but still need a capper for occassionally bottling, so yes will give G&G a visit to get those two stuff.

BE is a cooper's fermentable
Refractometer Measure, monitor and control the percentage of dissolved sucrose to water in liquids, fruit and vegetables.
AH thanks for explanations, need to keep up with the abbreviation and jargons.

I started in extracts, made some good beers - best advice I can give is read a few books. It doesnt sound exciting but trust me I dont read much at all, not even a newspaper but I brought "How to Brew"by Joh Palmer - http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/How-Brew-J...r/9780937381885 $17.67 Free delivery!

Invest in a pot that you can boil extracts in AND can be converted to a mash tun/ Hot liquid tank when you go AG. I have a $20 19L SS stock pot from big W works well as a mash tun now im no longer doing extracts, I will be buying a larger one in the future and this will become the HLT.

G&G are great for advice and do a practical brew every 2nd Saturday morning. Next one is 22nd September - Brew in a Bag (BIAB) then 13th October - Gravity & Braumeister. Go to one of thease days before you invest too heavily they are great for advice and wont just sell you stuff from the store. One of them told me to buy an STC-1000 from ebay and wire it up, and not to spend the $190 on the one thay have. Cant beat that for good advice :)

I bought the book, I like that website, thanks for that excellent link, I bought two more books that I have been meaning to buy!
Yes I shall invest in a pot that can be MT/HLT. Indeed will buy STC-1000 or Tempmate from Ebay.

I have mapped out my purchases/brewing which will be in phases;

1: Buy Fridge and temp controls and get it set up.
2: G&G for Pot, Brewer starter kit, capper. Brew using extract and bottle it.
3: Kegging system
4: Brooklyn Brew Shop kit brewing.
5: Partial AG equipments (HLT, Kettle, tubings).
6: Milling equipment etc. Start AG brewing!

Thanks for your help!

I have mapped out my purchases/brewing which will be in phases;

1: Buy Fridge and temp controls and get it set up.
2: G&G for Pot, Brewer starter kit, capper. Brew using extract and bottle it.
3: Kegging system
4: Brooklyn Brew Shop kit brewing.
5: Partial AG equipments (HLT, Kettle, tubings).
6: Milling equipment etc. Start AG brewing!

Thanks for your help!

Move your "Start AG brewing" to step 5. You don't need a mill to do AG brewing, they just help bring the cost down (because you can bulk buy grain).

Back