Yet Another Aus wide Bulk buy Grain mill- Malt Muncher (third time lu

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE:

It looks like all have been posted and will arrive by tomorrow apart from 1 which will be delivered on Thursday to Coburg (Sorry mate- thought I would be there earlier).

If you don't fit in one of the three options below, please PM me:
1. received your mill (Easter delays out of my control- sorry)
2. received the tracking number via PM
3. organised collection or I said I would drop off

Unless I misplaced one hopper set (please note that it should be riveted together) at home, I may have sent someone two sets accidentally. Please let me know so I can organise for it to be returned.

Mill is oily slightly so make sure to give it a good wipe before use.

Any other issues, please feel free to email me (PM box full) at: beermit at gmail dot com

Thanks to all for your patience.

r

Is it meant to come with any rivets or bolts? Mine didn't have any, luckily I had some lying around.

The grain mill seems pretty solid, the adjusters tighten even more when you have the right gap so its a bit fiddly but not too bad. The hopper is quite flimsy but it seems to do the job.

Now all I need to do is test it!

Cheers for organising this mate!

Hopper rivets not included buddy.
Entire unit will be fine. Too much bullshit regarding hoppers. All it does is crush Grain. Not brain surgery. Very good unit overall.

Golani51 said:
Btw. Research suggests a hacksaw blade gap is perfect.
Probably good for BIAB but not so sure about a recirculated system.

I used a hacksaw blade to set my gap and it crushed the grain very fine, no cracked husks at all just a lot of husk particles where they had been broken open completley.

The result was a stuck sparge and during my reciculated mash the pump kept stalling.

Ill try setting it at the .50 mark on the dial next time.

I used some callipers to measure the thickness of a 30 cm metal rule. It was just a fraction over 1 mm, so I used that as a shim to set the mill gap.
Crush looked fine to me, mash didn't stick.

treefiddy said:
I used some callipers to measure the thickness of a 30 cm metal rule. It was just a fraction over 1 mm, so I used that as a shim to set the mill gap.
Nice idea, I think I might try the same.

treefiddy said:
Not sure what happned to mine then.
I did have flaked barley and oats in the mash but not much. Usually when I buy crushed grain from the LHBS I still get a lot of husks intact but cracked open. But this crush I did all the husks were pulverised completely into small particles.

Truman said:
Not sure what happned to mine then.
I did have flaked barley and oats in the mash but not much. Usually when I buy crushed grain from the LHBS I still get a lot of husks intact but cracked open. But this crush I did all the husks were pulverised completely into small particles.
Truman, not sure what speed you milled at, but it needs to be pretty slow as high revolutions tends to really shred with some mills, resulting in a lot of flour and busted hulls. By slow......i mean down around the 150 - 200 rpm for some mills. Others will cope with 350 - 400 rpm.

Martin

I have feeler gauges so I set mine at 1mm, ill see how that goes.

HBHB said:
Truman, not sure what speed you milled at, but it needs to be pretty slow as high revolutions tends to really shred with some mills, resulting in a lot of flour and busted hulls. By slow......i mean down around the 150 - 200 rpm for some mills. Others will cope with 350 - 400 rpm.

Martin
Martin,
That was the other problem... it didnt seem to pull the grains in at slow rpm so I had to increase the speed a bit. When I first used this mill I had a couple of guys from work around to help as it was their brew they wanted me to do for them. They set the grain mill and crushed the grains whilst I did other things. I told them to use the hacksaw blade. He told me he did but I found out today (and checked when I got home and the gap seemed a lot smaller.)

Turns out he couldn't be bothered getting the hacksaw blade out of my toolbox so used his debit card instead. Which is a lot smaller gap than a hacksaw blade.

So I will be re-doing the gap and lesson learnt, if you want something done right do it yourself.

Hello all. It looks like the BB has been brought to a close. Apart from one collection, everyone should have received their mill.
Simian- did yours come today?
Dave_hl- yours should be there tomorrow.

Anyone not yet receive theirs?

I'm relatively new to brewing but came across this post and was tempted by the BB. I then realised I'd likely missed out (didn't join until late March) but this has been one of the best posts to read. Love, hate, anger, adventure - it had it all!

Thanks to all involved, but especially Golani51 for making sure this had a happy ending.

Glad.....although I would have remembered having a happy ending.......although it went through well.

I am sure there would be another one at some point. You could try calling the shop and seeing if he can perhaps help you out. Nice mill.

Latest posts

Back