Yet Another Aus wide Bulk buy Grain mill- Malt Muncher (third time lu

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just emailed Monstermill about the 2 and 3 rollermodels. Will update as I know more.

R

Dan2 said:
I'd be interested in getting a quote.
But as the mill body alone is more than the package price from KK - therefore plus handle and plus hopper, I imagine the difference would be more than a little, so may knock some interested parties off the list.
I'm happy to wait and see what happens though. No rush for me

I'd also be interested in a quote for a millmaster....wouldn't mind if it was a bit extra

I'm in no rush for the mill either

I'm in no rush I'm just happy with a good cheap mill to replace my marga. Better yet, I do really like that it already comes with a hopper too. Lets see what the monster comes in at because I highly doubt the millmaster will be anywhere near the price of the malt mucher.

1. Golani51 (Caulfield, VIC)

2. Rexi (Hobart, Tas)

3. eggs ( Croydon, Vic. work in Mulgrave)

4. 8-ball (brisbane Qld )

5. LagerBomb (Burnie Tasmania)

6. SamB (Caulfield, VIC)

7. Super Simian

8. MattC (Broken Hill, NSW)

9. eddy22 (Hampton 3188, Victoria)

10. nardcoooker

11. Aydos (Brighton, QLD)

12. Kudzu (Launceston, TAS)

13. Dan2 (PO box in Port Lincoln )

14. Lael (Sydney)

15. BobCharlie (Brisbane)

16. goldenchild (central coast nsw)

17. castilleau (Brisbane)

18. novaris (Mooroolbark, Vic)

19 Pats (adelaide, sa)

20 kahlerisms (Kew, Vic)

21 crtp (syd nsw)

22. Lmccrone (Ascot Vale, Vic)

Your a good man Golani51, I got tipped out at the end of the last bulk buy (which was particularly bad, because I told my girlfriend i had brought one and had to put up with her having shits all weekend before I found out I had nothing!) As far as what mill we get I'm not too fussed happy to go with the flow assuming its a good deal.

Cheers

Golani - may be a big of extra work for you, but if you wanted to check a few different options, and post them, maybe we could chip in a few extra $ each to further lower the cost of yours once the final buy is locked in?

Sorry - certainly don't mean to derail anything! Just thought stainless + geared rollers = sweet. I didn't really think about the hopper / handle as it's easy for me to build one out of ply, and I was going to use a drill. The package + price from KegKing is very attractive though.

Thanks for being willing to look into it and let us know what you decide Golani

Guys, I've just been directed to this thread. I'll look at the best pricing on the Millmaster for you in the morning, we'll be able to do something but it'll be no where near the Malt muncher price. You are not comparing like with like, I've inspected the malt muncher & personally I wouldn't choose one even if it was half the price again. Buy once, buy right, if the Malt muncher is the top of your budget range then go for it, if you can afford a little more there are much better mills available which will last you a life time.

Cheers Ross

Good point Ross - buy once, buy right. After all, being a tight arse isn't just about getting the cheapest. Coz if it lasts 2 yrs, it ain't a better buy than one that lasts a lifetime

Hi Ross:

As an engineer, I like nothing more than using beautiful tools. Well- made, solid, lifelong tools. I still use spanners that my grandfather bought and used in his factory over 40 years ago. The issue here is that the mill is something that is over the lifespan of a typical homebrewer will be used for several hours perhaps (please feel free to do the maths). I know of at least 1 toolmaker who was quite impressed with it. Sure it isn't the same as the Monstermill and the likes, but is a nice enough piece of equipment and will outlast the average brewer.

That being said, I think we are all interested in the options and I am more than happy to have you present more options to the group. As you can see, despite a couple of group buys already (45+ mills), we still have interest by another 20+ (I was supposed to be in on the 1st!).

I for one would be interested in the price without the handle if it reduces the cost as I wish to motorise it as I think many will too. Feel free to post the prices here.

Dan2 said:
Golani - may be a big of extra work for you, but if you wanted to check a few different options, and post them, maybe we could chip in a few extra $ each to further lower the cost of yours once the final buy is locked in?
Thanks mate but all good. Buy me a beer instead one day when I am in town. Should be traveling for work a fair bit so will call in some favours. (I will be in Sydney every month for the next 4 or 5 months hint! hint! Adelaide too I think hint!hint!hint!)

Golani51 said:
Thanks mate but all good. Buy me a beer instead one day when I am in town. Should be traveling for work a fair bit so will call in some favours. (I will be in Sydney every month for the next 4 or 5 months hint! hint! Adelaide too I think hint!hint!hint!)
You'll have to travel a little further than Adelaide.
Come and swim with the tuna, or great whites (in cages) or sealions (no cage - and the sharks may rock up at no extra cost :eek: ).
But while you're in Adelaide, drop into the Wheatsheaf for a pint. But be careful - you may feel the NEED ;) to try each tap

reason i got one..anything has to be better than a corana mill.a monster mill 2 is about $300 for 2 landed in australia for those interested no hopper

I have no experience in mills whatsoever so I'll be lead by the group here.

I want a mill so I can be a little bit more fluid with my brewing and not have to arrange a time to get to G&G in the four hours a week they're open and I'm not at work.

I plan to motorise mine (because I'm both lazy and I enjoy building things).

I would be interested in learning more about a more expensive model. A couple of recent purchases from Keg King have been a little disappointing in the quality stakes and I'm quickly discovering that spending an extra 20% up front is likely to save me a heap of time and possible replacement costs later anyway.

kahlerisms said:
I want a mill so I can be a little bit more fluid with my brewing and not have to arrange a time to get to G&G in the four hours a week they're open and I'm not at work.
You got an address that things can be mailed to? G&G's postage is very reasonable.

yeah my point was more I can start buying in bulk and measuring up when the mood grabs me, not be planning recipes weeks or months in advance to make sure I can have it milled and picked out for me and picked up.

I haven't looked into delivery from G&G, no, as I usually order 15-20KG at a time so figured it'd be preventively expensive. ANyway, I don't want to derail this thread too much, I was more exploring why I was looking to buy a mill and why I was getting on board this bulk buy. If 18 of you reckon a $200 mill is significantly better/longer lasting/whatever, then I'll be easily swayed as I have little knowledge of them.

A retailer is in here offering alternate supply for a bulk buy (an alternate I think is worth considering, btw, so this isn't a dig) so I reckon the thread is already well and truly off the rails.

G&G have a flat rate for their postage up to 20-something kilos (iirc). Check with them but I'm pretty sure you can get up to 25kg(?) for ~$8.

As for the flexibility you're talking about, unless you generally brew with the same few grains (and brew a lot to stop spoilage/wastage) that flexibility wont necessarily always be there. I've got a mill and I find that for nearly all batches I still have to wait for an order of spec grain to come in (not to mention yeast and hops). Your situation could easily be different to mine, of course.

Not suggesting that you shouldn't get a mill - I haven't regretted buying mine (except that I did it not very long before the dollar got really strong).

So what's the life span of grain assuming I can keep it dark/dry/protected from beasties?

I don't mean to suggest it spoils immediately. You read of blokes saying they've used 2yo grain without issue. I have no experience with anything older than maybe a year old - seemed okay, I'm sure it isn't ideal though. Where it becomes an issue is with spec grain more so than base malt. You might be surprised how long it might take to get through a bag of cara-anything, etc. I imagine it would also get pretty boring using the same two or three grains exclusively for every beer. That might just be me - you may have a couple of beers locked down that you love and that's all you make.

I have kept unmilled grain for over 12 months. Stored in a dry place in a well sealed container. I know there will be plenty of discussion about grain going stale, but I havent really noticed it, Im not that worried about it to tell the truth. For us Tassie boys its more about being able to get grain in the first place, so we tend to buy in bulk, and a mill is a necessity.
Not fussed which mill it is, but lets make a decision on a mill, and get the buy going. I am happy to support any Australian supplier in this instance. Buying from the USA to save $10 is not that important to me.
Cheers
LagerBomb

Back