Yet Another 12v Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony is pretty close with the 3phasse DC motor description. It basically converts DC to 3phase AC and then varies the frequency of the sine wave to vary the speed of the motor. This is how inverter aircons work except it doesnt have to conver AC to DC then back to AC (like the aircon does).

Fil

yep and the 24V ones are 12l per min... Im not seeming to have many problems with them but I also CIP while still hot so Im not sure if thats the difference or maybe Im just lucky thus far :)

Yob

Yeah, but as Wolfy has experienced, they cut out after running hot for some minutes.
I wonder if others have experienced this.
I need a reliable no fuss small pump - but I don't care if its AC or DC. The March is too big.

This looks like it may be OK - I'm waiting for more info from the manufacturer:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/59582693...food_grade.html

I personally havnt had that experience. Ive had one on the HLT (12v) for almost 12 months, probably oven a dozen HERMS brews without issue... Well except when i decided to open it to have a look, maybe clean... and broke it :rolleyes:

Very interested to see if those linked above are fg looks like a tight unit.

the plastic in this black pump is pa66. a type of nylon. a guick google suggest it can be used in food applications but no really definitive single search result. is this pump food grade? should contact the seller direct.
I had a stooge around too, Dazdog and found nothing specific. However, several suppliers did say it was safe. The best I saw was this one from a filter supplier and as far as I'm concerned, if they can filter my blood thru it, it will handle my beer.

"PA66 nylon filter mesh media (21)
Medicinal filter mesh (2)
Liquid medicine filter mesh (1)
Blood transfusion filter mesh (1)
tea bag,coffee mill filter mesh media (1)
Automobile fuel pump filter mesh media (1)
other uses. filter mesh(Flour sieving,food,chemistry,printing...etc) (17)"

Yeah, but as Wolfy has experienced, they cut out after running hot for some minutes.
I wonder if others have experienced this.
I need a reliable no fuss small pump - but I don't care if its AC or DC. The March is too big.

This looks like it may be OK - I'm waiting for more info from the manufacturer:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/59582693...food_grade.html

See this post here for why they can sometimes cut out once they get hot and what you can do about it. At first I thought it was some sort of thermal cut out but I had run this pump with clean boiling water through it a couple of times before with no problems.
It cut out on 3 occasions at mash out temps and I think it was just the heat causing tighter tolerances combined with the dried up crud in the bush which was pushing the shaft and magnet against the body of the pump casuing it to stop.

I havent had any problems with my brown pump since pulling it apart and giving it a good clean out, doing a hot CIP after every brew and running the pump with the body upright above the inlet/outlet. Ive pumped 90C water through it to clean and it has run for 20 mins plus like this.

Brown pump problems

Im not convinced, just coz a supplier says "she'll be right" is different than a manufacturer stating food grade..

The plastic might well be fine but i dont think they pump blood at 100'c do they?

Automotive pumps? When was the last time you drank from the radiator?

Im not trying to be deliberately objectionable moreover cautious.. Id like to get the manufacturers opinion on food grade before i forked out for one... Just as i did with the brown pumps..

I've just purchased a 'sample' of the pump linked on post #22.
The MP 15RM model.

$48 for the pump, $54 delivery costs. No doubt would be less for a bulk buy.
Should get it in days.
Will let you know what its like.

The MP 15RM model.

Should get it in days.

Looks like one of these

The MP 15RM model.

Should get it in days.

Yorg,

I've always been scared off by Alibaba, i thought it was only for importers/wholesalers etc who wanted to buy thousands of units....

did you buy your one 'sample' through that link?

any special skills/language required to do so?

there's so many products come up in searches from Alibaba that i'd like....

Yorg,

I've always been scared off by Alibaba, i thought it was only for importers/wholesalers etc who wanted to buy thousands of units....

did you buy your one 'sample' through that link?

any special skills/language required to do so?

there's so many products come up in searches from Alibaba that i'd like....

No problem so far at all, couple of emails and was able to paypal. Also check out Alibaba express, they seemed to have almost all the same products but selling single items.
http://www.aliexpress.com

Thanks Tony
Some great info.
But is it food grade ?
The rest is irrelevant if you cant use it for safe brewing.
Nev

PA66 is polyamide, and if its compounded right prior to molding it should be food safe as per FDA regs. It's essentially nylon. More details can be found on BASF or DuPont websites.

However, I'd be wary about long run times at high temperatures...

PA66 is polyamide, and if its compounded right prior to molding it should be food safe as per FDA regs. It's essentially nylon. More details can be found on BASF or DuPont websites.

However, I'd be wary about long run times at high temperatures...

As far as i'm aware, food grade isn't just about the base material. So whilst PA66 might be food safe, who knows what else (eg. colouring) is included in the material, and what other products (eg. mould release) are used in the manufacturing process that aren't food grade.

Also, what are the other parts are in the pump that aren't PA66 made of?

Made an enquiry regard the keg king looking pump, see below

The price is USD53/pc FOB Xiamen for MP-20RM.
The shipping cost is USD48 for 1 pc .USD65 for 2 pcs..USD125 for 5pcs, from Xiamen to Australia via Fedex
USD145 for 10pcs via DHL.

looks like you need to buy ten pumps, a bulk by if you will, a pump landed for around $70, any interest in the risk?

Made an enquiry regard the keg king looking pump, see below

The price is USD53/pc FOB Xiamen for MP-20RM.
The shipping cost is USD48 for 1 pc .USD65 for 2 pcs..USD125 for 5pcs, from Xiamen to Australia via Fedex
USD145 for 10pcs via DHL.

looks like you need to buy ten pumps, a bulk by if you will, a pump landed for around $70, any interest in the risk?
What are the specs on that pump?

Back