Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stout75

Reaction score
G'day all, I have a recipe for an old English stout that talks about the very high alcohol content in the notes. Would anyone be able to put me in the right direction for a high alcohol yeast that might be suitable for 200+ year old recipe? Oh and higher temp tolerant. I'm in Darwin and the ferment fridge isn't finished.
Cheers

How strong are you talking about? The wyeast website has plenty of yeasts that you can make stout from that have a tolerance of 10 - 12%. 1728 scotish ale (24c), 1084 irish ale (22c) both go to 12% or there abouts.

I think your parameters are going to lead to too much conflict and lead to a shit beer. A fair few yeasts can go that high if conditions are right. You need the proper cell count, plenty of oxygen and good control over your fermenting temperature.

White Labs Super High Gravity

That'd get you there....but without temp control I'd hate to think of the off flavours.

My advice: Brew a saison between now and getting your temp control up and running.

Back