Yeast Washing Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_fuzz

Reaction score
Ok,

So I had a go at yeast washing and it appears to have been a success - I have 3 75ml vials of crystal clear sterile water and a nice layer of yeast on the bottom - the question is this - what do I do with the washed yeast?

Basically, do I have to create a starter? Or can I let it warm up a little and throw it straight onto the wort? :huh:

Ok,

So I had a go at yeast washing and it appears to have been a success - I have 3 75ml vials of crystal clear sterile water and a nice layer of yeast on the bottom - the question is this - what do I do with the washed yeast?

Basically, do I have to create a starter? Or can I let it warm up a little and throw it straight onto the wort? :huh:

Do a search for pitching rates and build up your yeast using starter batches to the required amount.

Screwy

Ok,

Make some beer with it!

But seriously, you probably should make a starter before use.

But seriously, you probably should make a starter before use.

Sage advice, you might have a lot of yeast but how much is viable, especially if its been stored for a month or more, is unknown. Make sure you draw some of the liquid off and taste it/smell it before you use it..its probably fine but a simple test may stop tears before bedtime.
K

Latest posts

Back