Yeast viability - when to repitch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcp

poפ ɹǝǝq
Reaction score
Did a batch on Saturday - but had not brewed since January - I've travelled that much with work...

It meant I had an old 1272 American Ale II date 9 Sep 2012, and only pitched it yesterday - sunday. The pack was already swollen, so I didn't bother bursting the pouch, but wonder about the viability.

24 hours have passed and there's no sign of real krausen. Tiny islands of bubbles is all. I do have a fresh pack of 1272, so can pitch another packet. I know it's going to be a bit lower viability and will take a while to kick in. And even fresh packs take a little while sometimes.

How long should I wait before I decide whether to throw in the new pack?

It's early now, but never give a bacterium an even break vs. overreacting too early is the question.

Mr malty says the viability of that pack is only 10% which is stuff all so I would be throwing in another pack ASAP.

You should have done a stepped starter to get it going again. Something like 1.5 litres, let it ferment out, decant the wort then put that into a 2 litre starter, that could have gotten the pack from 8% (8 bil cells) up to 150 billion, that would have been ok to pitch into a 20 litre 1.050 ale.

Even with a new pack, if it's from say early June you should probably be doing a 1.5 litre starter to get up to that 150b mark before pitching, depending on your volume and OG.

carniebrew said:
You should have done a stepped starter to get it going again. Something like 1.5 litres, let it ferment out, decant the wort then put that into a 2 litre starter, that could have gotten the pack from 8% (8 bil cells) up to 150 billion, that would have been ok to pitch into a 20 litre 1.050 ale.

Even with a new pack, if it's from say early June you should probably be doing a 1.5 litre starter to get up to that 150b mark before pitching, depending on your volume and OG.
Yes, just repitched and was thinking the same thing. I even have a stir plate.

Just been so busy I realised I had a spare day so brewed, rather than thinking ahead.

I had a 6 month old pack that didn't swell, pitched it in a starter and took about 3-4 days to get going..up to you if you wait a couple more days to see how it goes. Also got to consider the negative effects of under pitching on the batch.

Latest posts

Back