Yeast to use for Steam Ale (Californian Common)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scobieb

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thinking about trying to make a Steam Ale. Come up with a basic recipe using the spreadsheet (Light Dry Malt, Light Crystal 60 and Northern Brewer Hops), now onto considering what sort of yeast to use.

I'm conscious of the temperature being all over the place at the moment in Melbourne and have no way to cool my fermneter. So, so far all my homebrews have used ale yeasts so its not so much of an issue.

For Steam Ale I believe I should be using a lager yeast, but I know most have a temperature range of up to 22c.

Any thoughts on the type of yeast I should use?

Might give this a go, let's know results.

Thanks Guys. I've upgraded to a 15 litre fermenter now so i can make a nice standard beer in that and experiment more in the 5 litres.

My apartment tends to sit about 20-21c so i'm a just bit worried a hot day will push it over 22c and ruin a lager yeast. But worth a try eh

You should be able to keep a 15L fermenter at a nice temp with frozen softdrink bottles (milk bottles, whatever) or a water bath or both. A fridge and controller are not the only options (despite popular opinion).

In any case, lots of people like the cal common style so it might be worth a crack even after you work out your temp control arrangements.

San Francisco usually sits around 18-20 in the summer so theoretically that would be a range you'd be shooting for. Haven't brewed one myself, but drank plenty when I lived there.

FWIW, I use a Dome 24 bottle wine cooler and external thermostat in my tiny apartment for temperature control. While it may not be as flexible as a bar fridge with a compressor, it is super quiet, and only has a peltier cooler with a fan for cooling.

Latest posts

Back