Quantcast

Yeast Theif

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

The Duke

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has bothered to culture yeast from a commercial boutique beer.
I am in the middle of an expirement with a wheat beer(cooper's) using yeast that I cultured from a fancy german wheat beer that i was given. It seems to be enjoying its unexpected extended life as my new concoction is burping excitedly.
Is this legal?
Would this be the yeast that the brewery used or are they more protective of their secrets than this?
What temperature should I aim for?

Can't wait to compare it to the norm!

The Duke

jgriffin

No Longer Brewin!
Reaction score
Someone asked this legal question of the Wyeast dude on the homebrew radio show available at craftbrewer.

Apparently by leaving the yeast in the bottle, they are releasing it into the public domain, so it's free for all.

The Duke

Reaction score
thanks!
as much as it goes against my grain(pardon the pun), I shall now be purchasing a selection of conditioned stubbies and conducting extensive expirements. my next "robbery" will be that new coopers special ale.

one last question,
how long will the yeast last in cake form....i normally have a few barrels burping away so I was planning on just pitching the stolen yeast from one brew to the new one. does the yeast have a reproductive limit or can it go on multiplying brew after brew?

cheers!

J

Jovial_Monk

Ummmm, hate to be a wet blanket, but. . .most bottle conditioned beers are filtered, then a lager yeast added at bottling, i.e. the main yeast is not in the bottle dregs.

Wheat beers would be an exception, and I believe Chimay is as well.

Megabreweries repitch yeast 8 times, for homebrewers 3 times is a safe limit

Jovial Monk