Yeast temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkeyguts

Reaction score
G'day,
I'm having a go at my first lager. For my ales I hydrate my dry yeast in warm water before pitching. But The pitching temp for this lager is 10 degrees. Will this yeast hydrate at a lower temp? I don't want to pitch it if it is too warm. Or, do I just sprinkle it straight into the fermenter?
Cheers.

There are lots of thoughts on this.
The best advice I can give is to follow the manufacturers instructions. They have a vested interest in you getting good results with their product so are likely to give the best advice for their products.
Google is your friend, but here is a sheet for Saf 34/70, this is the worlds most popular lager yeast whether sold dry or as a liquid culture 45% of the commercial Lager brewed in Germany uses 34/70.
Note that they give fairly precise temperatures for various processes (re-hydration or direct pitching), its very important to get the temperatures right so a good thermometer!

Attachments

• SaflagerW-34-70.pdf
    175 KB · Views: 81
I put down a lager last week. I used MJ 76 Bavarian lager yeast, have used the 34/70 a few times.

I usually do ales. I neglected to pre chill water so I ended up in the pickle of either waiting for the ferm chamber to chill to pitching temperature or to pitch warm.

I'm going to be doing quite a few lagers this winter while I can do my ales on the counter top :)

Back