Yeast - Stir or Spread?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So cool water is better than warm water... the opposite of what Danstar say on the pack.

Guess it's a case of who do you believe, and your own experience. As is often the case!

Don't know what the big deal is. I've never rehydrated, only sprinkled. Guess what...I got beer. :)

I've noticed, (or convinced myself) lag time is reduced by hydrating, I just clean and sanitise a pint glass add tap water and yeast, cover with glad wrap and leave for a couple hours before pitching,
also reduces the chance to drop the packet into the wort when sprinkling, which I've done.

when rehydrating, as I understand it, leaving for a few hours can reduce the health as they quickly use up the available nutrient and then 'starve'.. (fro want of a better analogy)

about 45 mins is optimum.. 15 mins to rehydrate and then 30 mins to get going and get to pitching temp (by adding small amounts of wort to get within cooee).. naturally, the rehydration temp is much higher than the pitching temp so it's a good way to get the temp down in the time frame given by the manufacturers spec sheet..

cmon guys, it's not in a manuf. best interest to give you a method that results in a shitty outcome, no incentive to buy more of the product... sure sprinkling will give you beer... but is it the best beer it could have been? only a side by side could tell you that.

These debates always have a very big fence and there isnt much of a group that sits on it, generally you are on one side or the other, me? naturally I'm a rehydrator by the book... which book depends on the manufacturer of the yeast Im using at the time ;)

Mikedub said:
I've noticed, (or convinced myself) lag time is reduced by hydrating, I just clean and sanitise a pint glass add tap water and yeast, cover with glad wrap and leave for a couple hours before pitching,
also reduces the chance to drop the packet into the wort when sprinkling, which I've done.
Mate, sanitising your glass and then adding tap water? There's every chance you have just ruined you sanitation.

My process: Boil the kettle, decant 1-cup to sanitised vessel, cover and allow to cool to optimum rehydration temperature (35-40 degrees). Then pitch your yeast. Leave it for 15mins, then give it a stir with a sanitised spoon and leave it for around 30mins.
Then give it a swirl prior to pitching to wort.

Slightly off topic:
Does anyone do that olive oil thing these days, or was that a short-lived fad?? (almost everything to do with it seems to be dated 2011).

technobabble66 said:
Slightly off topic:
Does anyone do that olive oil thing these days, or was that a short-lived fad?? (almost everything to do with it seems to be dated 2011).
See the first page, I did it with my last 2 brews

technobabble66 said:
Slightly off topic:
been a while, best to do at a hotel as the mess is hard to explain. take one bottle of evoo and apply liberally to 20 year old thrashing machine, apply remainder to yourself. :D

sp0rk said:
See the first page, I did it with my last 2 brews
Yeah, saw that. Are you the only one though? :unsure: nobody else said much about it. Yob seemed to imply it wasn't so great...

Seamad: I'm actually a massage therapist. so THAT sort of oil stuff is a daily occurance. Well, at least the therapeutic version of it. Maybe not quite the same as you were thinking ... B)

Not saying it doesn't work mate, studies have proven it does, however, the studies I've read did not go into overall yeast health and the effect if you want to re use said yeast.. Not saying it's detrimental and not saying it works and there is nothing to be concerned about..

The theory goes that it provides them with steak, lots of steak, it doesn't give them fruit or vegetables or yoghurt and so not a balanced diet, I tend to re use my yeast quite a bit so generational drift, mutations and general yeast health is a big concern for me and so I've not tried it.. The study was fascinating though.. It's been discussed at length and a search would be well worth your time.

ed: for completeness, here is a >LINK< to the thesis MHB posted with regard to the Olive Oil.

Thanks Yob,
Comprendez! That's sort of what i got from the reading i'd done, but was worried i'd missed something.
I currently don't re-use yeast, & don't look like doing it for a while. So that stuff is beyond my horizon. Though it's nice to have an idea of what to be wary of later.
Maybe i'll give the oil a crack next brew...

I must admit, i do like this as an example of a new technique developing out of better scientific understanding of our traditional processes.

Back