Yeast Starters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoilerBoy

Reaction score
I have a couple of yeast statrters in the fridge split from an original starter made 4wks ago. It looks like they have comtinued to grow very slowly and in order to preserve them longer could I tip out most of the spent malt and top up with cool boiled water?

There are probably other topics you could search for but Chiller's Yeast farming topic could be of help to you. I'm sure your plan of adding sterile water would be fine.

Yes I read through that it was excellent information and it was what got me thinking about whether adding sterilized water to a starter was really the same as adding it when recovering yeast from the trub.

That's the go man. I've had good value out of my Wyeast 1056

I step from 100g extract in 1 litre water up to 200g in 2 litres, letting ferment for about 3 days in each case.

Pour off extract, add water (boiled/cooled), mix then split up into 4 pet bottles. The yeast settles, leaving clear water on top. Store in fridge door.

Don't make starters, just take one out of the fridge before brewing. When ready, swirl and pitch.

The last bottle is used to make 4 more bottles. Same procedure.

Chiller's idea I think. Works well. Damn cheap.

Back