Yeast Starters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppysbarandgrill

Reaction score
Hello to all, im just three brews into my brewer career and im wanting to work on starter yeast, do i add some sugar to water and the yeast pack or i do take some wort out of barrel and add yeast/sugar to that. looking for the best way to start of my yeast. ive made three brews being a cider a ginger beer and i got beer going know.

Cheers Hopper

100g of Malt extract in 1L of water boil for 5 min let cool and pitch yeast. Simple as that!

There is lots of info on the forum that will answer your question, but you need to search and pick your way through it.

If your talking dry yeast though, Add dry malt extract to sterile water in the right ratio, then add your yeast. Your starter container needs to be sealed for example with an air lock, and you would want it at the right temp.

However there is a school of thought that says, if you can't make a starter properly you are better off not doing one. One reason being the risk of infection. A safer option then would be simply to buy more dry yeast packets.

Another new member and new brewer recently created a thread with exactly the same title as this one, he also was confused about the question he was asking and was considering taking wort from the barrel.
Since the two questions are so similar, you might find some help starting there: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=66152
(there are a number of links and explanations that may be of assistance)

Back