Yeast Starters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer slayer

Reaction score
Hi

When making yeast starters with dry malt and boiling it up, is best to remove the hot break before pitching the yeast.? Does this affect the yeast? I will be putting the starter on a stir plate.
:beer:

Beer Slayer
Dissolve your malt in a measuring jug with hot water, let cool to room temp (i put it in the fridge to cool down quicker). When cool pour into your clean 2litre coke bottle (or whatever you use) and then pour your yeast starter (that is at room temp) in aswell - bobs your uncle - give it a good shake. Draw off about 400mls for next time. Then leave the bottle in a nice warm place and let it do its stuff. Shaking the beejus out of it everytime you pass!
Cheers
Steve

BS

I put my dry malt extract into an erlenmeyer with aluminium foil over the mouth and give it a good boil to sanitise it.
Cool then add the yeast, I don't worry about the hot or cold break as I figure it's such a small amount of wort.

Hoops

Hi,
I've just done a 800mL DME starter (SG1045) for a US56 (dry) yeast.

24 hours later things seem to be cruising along niceley, however I noticed about a dozen small black specks sitting on the bottom of the flask in the yeast cake. Has anyone seen this before? Do I pitch it or throw it?

Cheers

Ben

Ben,

Taste the starter before using it. It's unbittered beer and should taste zesty, bready, yeasty (how bout that?) and fruity but not sour or off.

With yeast starters be as absolutely hygienic as you can possibly manage with what you got. Don't use hot water - boil the water with the extract in it for at least a few minutes. Don't put it in the fridge uncovered. Don't just use a clean bottle - use a properly sanitised one. With yeast it pays to be as anal as you can about sanitation.

beer slayer,

likely as not, whether you remove the hot break or not from your starter wort will do dicky-doowa. Don't worry about it.

The protein in the hotbreak is actually good for yeast growth (ok it can causes some by-products but really unless your making at 2l plus starter dont worry about it.

The only time I like to separate the hotbreak besides a full brew is when I am making Agar plates and I hate the hotbreak in the plate

Latest posts

Back