Yeast Starters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theredone

Reaction score
Gents, im sure this has probably been covered before, but when typing in "yeast starter" into search function there a quite a few results :(

so since moving to AG i havnt got any DME laying around anymore so i cant make starters, and TBH i havnt been bothering, i just rehydrate dry yeast, and smack "smack packs". i do 2 batches at a time so normally aim for a single smack pack and split it between 2 batches, though this gets me thinking the poor yweasties might have to work pretty hard initially.

so i was thinking, is there any reasone i could not just pull off say a leter or 2 of prepared wort and use that as a starter? then just tip it back in once its well and truley rocking?

just a thought anyways, but i should probly just go and buy a bag of dry malt anyways right?

cheers

red

p.s. sorry for typos, bandage on a finger i got caught in a pushbike chain this morn :(

What I (and assumed others) do, is before the first hop addition draw off a litre or 2 for a starter and chill it to pitching temps, then use this wort as your starter wort.

If you're using dry yeast just stick with reydrating... no need for a starter.

Edit: Make sure you let the wort boil for 10 mins or so before drawing it off for the starter.

I usually take a litre or so out of the mash & use that. I draw some off straight into a flask & boil it there & then, cool it, pitch my small amount of yeast into it & by the time the main brew is at pitching temp the next morning (or very late that night) the starter is showing signs of activity

aaahhhh nice, thanks lads, so its important to get it out before hop additions right?

so i was thinking, is there any reasone i could not just pull off say a leter or 2 of prepared wort and use that as a starter? then just tip it back in once its well and truley rocking?
I do exactly that. Before I run my wort to the cube I draw a liter or two (depending on age and condition of yeast I'm using) into a 5L erlenmayer. If I have a smack pack that's a year or so old, or starting from test tubes, I also fill a couple of smaller Erlenmayers. If I'm brewing a lager and want a 5 liter starter, I also fill a couple of 1.25L soft drink bottles and no chill them, so I can add the wort to the Erlenmayer once once the first steps have fermented out.

If I feel the yeast might struggle with a higher gravity wort, I simply add some no chilled water (which I always have around in 1.25L soft drink bottles in my brewery) to get the SG closer to 1.030.

Your other option is to brew a batch of unhopped wort (or bitter to 10 IBU if you're worried about botulism) and no chill that in small containers like soft drink bottles etc. Then you always have fresh wort handy when you need it.

Obviously sanitation is the key here.
No need for DME in an all grain brewery if you ask me.

yes just do this... easy as

aaahhhh nice, thanks lads, so its important to get it out before hop additions right?

Hops can inhibit yeast growth... so avoid adding hops to your starter. Not super important, but if you have the opportunity to do it, leave the hops out.

to quote the current bible;

At a level of about 12IBUs or higher, hops add some anitmicrobial protection.

and;

Even though adding hops confers some microbial activity, it is debatable how much it helps, since isomerized alpha acids also negatively affect yeast viability. Perhaps it is better to have less material floating around, with less expense and fewer steps to worry about.

White and Zainasheff - Yeast a Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation

Not sure if it's something to consider/worry about, but if you've added hops to the starter it might be a good idea to keep it covered, out of light

is there any reasone i could not just pull off say a leter or 2
Looks like you have already done that

p.s. sorry for typos, bandage on a finger i got caught in a pushbike chain this morn :(
That'll learn ya! :p

Yes I would be thinking that a smack pack divided into two could be underpitching. Try this Yeast Pitching Rate Caluclator: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html LINK it will help answer the questions of how big should the starter be, how much do I need to use and even helps with calculating how much slurry from a previous batch would you need to use - this makes a $13 smack pack go even further.

nah mate i havnt tried it yet, will do next weekend id say(providing current batches are done by then). thanks for the calc too. so now ive got starters sorted need to work on getting above 65% eff :p

I cube my wort, then any kettle dregs and trub I filter, boil and freeze for my starters

If I need more starter I just use DME to top up

I generally get 2L of wort out of 4L of trub, and by the time I've boiled that down further I have 1-1.5L of about 1.060, which gets me 1.5-2L of 1.040 (think I got that right ;))

^^ not a bad idea actially. u just use a hop sock or something fine to filter? i know my sock is pretty fine so i think that could work well, and waist less shuggaz :)

Back