Yeast Starter Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ploto

Reaction score
For my next extract brew I plant to re-culture Coopers bottle yeast and step it up to make a 1l starter using 100g of dry extract.

Do I count this 100g of dry extract as part of the total bill? My recipe calls for 800g of dry extract, so do I reduce this to 700g?

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious but this is the first time making a starter and I just wanted to be sure before stating.

For my next extract brew I plant to re-culture Coopers bottle yeast and step it up to make a 1l starter using 100g of dry extract.

Do I count this 100g of dry extract as part of the total bill? My recipe calls for 800g of dry extract, so do I reduce this to 700g?

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious but this is the first time making a starter and I just wanted to be sure before stating.

Well generally you're tipping the excess 'beer' from your starter down the drain so in that case, no. If you intend to pitch the whole thing again, no, because what you're adding to your brew is basically beer, not extract. The yeast theoretically have fermented it for you already, right?

Generally with yeast starters, you ferment the starter for 2 days, then stick it in the fridge overnight for all the yeast to drop out before decanting the liquid off the top.

Some pour the who;e lot in which is OK. It's personal preference.

Worth pointing out the difference.

If you make a starter purely for yeast growth and ferment it at higher temps or agitate it while it's fermenting (eg on a stirplate) then the resulting beer may develop flavours related to high ferment temps and agitation during fermentation. If this is the case, you are best decanting the wort from the starter at the end of your accelerated fermentation abd using the yeast only.

If you treat the yeast more gently and aim to use the yeast at high krausen so that it hits the ground running (and this is most effective when the main wort and the starter wort are identical), then you may use the whole wort and not run the risk of transferring any off flavours to the main beer.

Thanks for the advice, I'd been working on the assumption that it would all be tipped in. I'll decant the wort off as it's my first go at building a yeast starter and I'm not sure how it will go. I will have a good sniff and tasted of it before it goes in and I do have dry yeast on stand-by.
cheers.

Back