Yeast starter question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

Deeks2233

Reaction score
Hey all,
I havent had much luck with repitching yeasts, and im loathe to start so close to christmas, however i have 2 brews that need the same yeast, im thinking of pitching half of my 5litre yeast starter (its alager) and leaving some trub and making a second batch of dme to add to the trub imediatley after pitching, will this work, or is the risk of developing off flavours not worth the savings /time
Cheers!

Deeks2233

Reaction score
Just to clarify my plan is to pitch half the trub not 2.5 litres of the starter, and the yeast is thewhitelabs san fran lager yeast, thanks again!

Hazah

Reaction score
You could always pitch your 90% of the 5l starter into the first beer and then step up another starter with what you have left from the first one - I have done this a few times. I start with about 500ml to get it going then step up to 1.5l then 3l - it takes a bit of planning, but it gets the job done.

After I spin the 3litres on the stir plate I generally crash it in the fridge and then either step it up again or just pitch the yeast slurry once I have drained the spent starter off. I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

I have also had good luck with repitching part of a rinsed yeast cake before as long as the first beer isn't wildy different from the first one or some crazy high gravity thing that have given the yeast a workout. I am not a fan of just pitching a new beer onto an old yeast cake - but I know people who do it and they don't seem to have may problems - I just like to start with a clean fermenter and am cautious about ovepitching yeast - that may also be complete crap about overpitching as well - so take it for what it's worth :D

Deeks2233

Reaction score
Ive tried reculturing from the old yeast cake in the past, it worked but it just wasnt as fresh, i suspect it was probably oxidisation. I guess i could taste the finished yeast starter and determine if i want to use it or use a seperate vial

Hazah

Reaction score
I get what you are saying about oxidisation it sort of makes sense when you think about it - say you have a 23 litre batch and then drop a 5 litre starter into it. Depending on how you made the starter wort you would be dropping nearly 22% oxidised starter into your beer.

It really shouldn’t be an issue if you cold crash and decant the spent starter off the yeast - if you go that way.

I have had luck with just taking 300 - 500ml of yeast slurry from a batch, giving it a rinse in a sanitised bottle with some pre boiled and cooled water to separate the trub and gunk and just pitching the top liquid into the next beer.

I found about two weeks in the fridge is about as long as you want to wait if you are just rinsing and repitching. Any longer and I will generally make a starter - decant and pitch.

Latest posts