Yeast starter funnel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm just about to get into making yeast starters.

One minor problem I have is I have an induction cook top so the Hiesenberg glass flask won't work directly, so I see my alternative will be to boil the wort in a saucepan and transfer in the flask.

For this I presume I'll need a funnel (to keep SWMBO happy), but which kind?

Glass, stainless or silicone, any particular style or other?

Cheers

Sorry, forgot to add I don't wish to use shitty plastic..

fishingbrad said:
stainless bro.
I'm considering SS just because I will bust glass, just concerned about seams and hygiene.

But I did find this one

You don't need a funnel, just chill in the saucepan then decant into your flask in the sink. If you pour slowly, you shouldn't spill a drop.

Boiling in a flask is a PITA as you get massive boil overs, and cleaning wort of the stove is an even bigger PITA, so you're not missing out.

JD

I just put the flask into a large enough pot filled with boiling water, so the level of the wort is completely submerged in boiling water. I give it about 30 minutes, adding water as necessary, then add the nutrient, give it another 10. Never had any issue whatsoever. Cover the flask with aluminium foil obviously.

Any old funnel will do. Just ensure it's clean and sanitised. I just use the 3 pack for $5 from Woolies, also Aussie made so winners all 'round.

Agree that boiling in the flask is totally over rated. Even with anti foam stuff it still boils over and then you've got sticky wort everywhere. Bad for the stove and you'll also have sticky shit all over the lip and outside of the flask.

Get a wide mouth flask and enjoy trouble free starters.

that or pre-can some wort in a pressure cooker... some champion made a thread here somewhere

Moad said:
I still struggle not to spill dme when trying to get it in the flask

I got one of those gas camping cooktops from masters for 12bucks. I still haven't been through all the gas canisters it came with in two years. I've come close but never had a boil over in a flask. But yeah, getting dme in there is a pain in the arse.

huez said:
I got one of those gas camping cooktops from masters for 12bucks. I still haven't been through all the gas canisters it came with in two years. I've come close but never had a boil over in a flask. But yeah, getting dme in there is a pain in the arse.
+1

scooterism said:
One minor problem I have is I have an induction cook top so the Hiesenberg glass flask won't work directly, so I see my alternative will be to boil the wort in a saucepan and transfer in the flask.
Dead_Freight_Walt_Heisenberg_hat2-3405.jpg

Titanium, definitely titanium. And make sure you spend at least $250.

I get around the problem by taking wort from my brew and using that for the yeast starter for the next brew. Fortunately most of my brews are 1.040 -1.050 and only occasionally >50 EBU.

Go to your local hospitality supplies place and get yourself a stainless funnel
I bought one for other hobbies, cost me under $15 and has no seams

Moad said:
I use a wide mouth and have never had a boil over. 2L starter in a 2L flask so is pretty full as well.

Back