Quantcast

Yeast Slurry

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

jimmyjack

Reaction score
I just racked my skunk fart amarillo APA to a corny for secondary and i saved some of that killer white labs 051 cal v. I am going on holidays for two weeks and am planning a brew session when i get back. how long can i keep the slurry in the firdge. Can i pitch it straight in if i use it within a couple of weeks?, or do i have to do a starter?

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
I'd be using 3/4 of a cup of the slurry and make up a normal 1.5 litre starter when you get back for sure. The slurry will be right in the fridge for a couple of weeks :beerbang:

Darren

Beer Dog
Reaction score
Steve said:
I'd be using 3/4 of a cup of the slurry and make up a normal 1.5 litre starter when you get back for sure. The slurry will be right in the fridge for a couple of weeks :beerbang:
[post="82508"][/post]​

Should only need a tablespoon of slurry in 1.5 litres

Hogan

Stalag Brewery
Reaction score
Darren - could you explain only requiring a tablespoon of slurry. Is this going to be enough to run a 23 ltr ferment. I want to use the slurry from Saflager 34/70 in my next brew but I would appreciate advice on how much I should use and how it should be added to the wort.

Hogan

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
Chiller's Yeast farming thread or Batz's Starting Wyeast thread may be of help to you Jimmyjack and Hogan.

As Darren says, you only need a little yeast to get the show on the road.

Cheers
Stuart

Darren

Beer Dog
Reaction score
Hogan,
Adding a cup full of yeast to 1.5 litres of wort is far in excess.
It would ferment out in about 10 seconds.
Think of how much yeast comes in a smack pack or a packet of dried yeast.
That is all that is required for an active ferment. Sure add a bit more yeast but don't over do it.
A cup of slurry in a 23 litre batch is ok.
cheers
Darren

Latest posts