Yeast Sediment On The Top Of The Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murcluf

The Mystical Meerkat
Reaction score
I just check a belgian triple I bottled in August and found a large number of bottles about 50% with a film of yeast sediment on both the bottom and the top of the botlle. It is definetly yeast not infection and the beer itself is crystal clear couldn't ask for better. They are bottled in 250ml clear glass swing top bottles I brought at $90 for 80 to use for special occassion/brews and are in a sealed box so no light can get in. The yeast I used was WY 3787 I've used it before but never seen it do this in a bottle.

I'm not that concerned about the effect on the beer if any just wonder if anyone has experienced this or if someone knows why it happened?

Cheers

How long have they been in the bottle, and are you bottle priming them? Some yeasts will throw a mini krausen in the bottle from bottle fermentation.

However... it could be an infection, I would crack one of the offending bottles to smell and taste. It may not just ruin the beer, but if it is an infection you could lose the whole batch to bottle bombs, and possibly an eye from the explosions.

How long have they been in the bottle, and are you bottle priming them? Some yeasts will throw a mini krausen in the bottle from bottle fermentation.

However... it could be an infection, I would crack one of the offending bottles to smell and taste. It may not just ruin the beer, but if it is an infection you could lose the whole batch to bottle bombs, and possibly an eye from the explosions.
Just opened 2 and tasted them warm mind you, tasted fine. No sign of infection at all the only issue is the carb is very low, wondering if it may be a result of bad sealing on the swing tops.

Looking forward to trying your Alt F4 tonight from the swap :beer:

Back