Yeast Rinsing (so4)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottye

Reaction score
I am in the process of rinsing some yeast from an English Bitter OG 1.038 (FG 1.008).
The middle layer is darker than the bottom layer, for some reason I was expecting the yeast layer to be the lighter coloured layer.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

I am in the process of rinsing some yeast from an English Bitter OG 1.038 (FG 1.008).
The middle layer is darker than the bottom layer, for some reason I was expecting the yeast layer to be the lighter coloured layer.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

HERE is the rinsing yeast thread.. Happy Reading..

What temps are you trying to do this at?

You are an AG brewer? I am guessing trub at the bottom dead yeast middle and live yeast on top as it is the last thing to drop out of suspension....

This is SO4, yeah? Imho, just toss it, and buy some decent yeast.

SO4 is to English brewing as Snails with garlic paste, spread on toast, is to English cuisine. Nasty muck.

Sorry. 2c. But at least an honest 2c.

btw: as for dry yeast: some are better than others, but imho, none of them are worth faffing and farting about to harvest. Quality liquid yeasts are more expensive....because they're quality. They (usually) are worth harvesting. ......don't mean to offend a newbie, but I know my time is worth more that the cost of a new dry packet. Isn't yours'?

Yea I wouldnt be worrying about the effort to wash dried yeast, as Mike said.

Re-using the yeast cake, or keeping it for a short period of time (bottling and storing in the fridge for eg) is understandable, but for the quality and price of dried yeast, its definitely not worth rinsing it IMHO.

Not saying dried yeast is poor quality, as I enjoy using dried yeast when I dont have any liquid on hand and get good results - just look at the amount of awards brewers on here have won using dried yeasty - but for the cost of another packet of yeast, the trouble isnt worth it.

Sponge

May be worth it when you are doing a really high gravity beer and need heaps of active yeast.

May be worth it when you are doing a really high gravity beer and need heaps of active yeast.

I do my 1.070+ IPAs by brewing a 1.040 APA and dumping the IPA wort onto the whole yeast cake of US05.

Works a treat for getting good attenuation and no diacetyl in big beers. Only time I use the whole yeast cake - but I usually bottle 300ml of trub and pitch that directly within a fortnight. Works a treat; haven't had any bad effects from not washing the yeast. First pitch and second pitch make the same beer.

Washing any yeast seems overkill to me - especially if you're pitching onto coldbreak anyway. YMMV.

Thats where a starter or picthing two packs can come into play ;)

If you've got the time and don't mind the effort, there's definitely nothing wrong with rinsing dried yeast.

My comments were just a personal opinion and wouldn't bother going to the effort.

Sponge

I do my 1.070+ IPAs by brewing a 1.040 APA and dumping the IPA wort onto the whole yeast cake of US05.

Works a treat for getting good attenuation and no diacetyl in big beers. Only time I use the whole yeast cake - but I usually bottle 300ml of trub and pitch that directly within a fortnight. Works a treat; haven't had any bad effects from not washing the yeast. First pitch and second pitch make the same beer.

Washing any yeast seems overkill to me - especially if you're pitching onto coldbreak anyway. YMMV.

Totally agree.
May be an issue with the a dainty little Kolsch or something, but as with 'racking to the secondary', its gone the way of Doe Doe with me.

No offence taken. I'm not lookin' to brew the cheapest brew but the best brew. Therefore your point is taken. I have another two packets of SO4, so I can dump the stuff that I have pitched into a starter. The way I understood it rinsing and reusing it leads to progressively better beer. If this is not the case with SO4 then I'll start fresh.

So currently I am brewing English Bitters, IPAs and Porters; which yeast do you suggest.

BTW I assume the yeast was dead, I pitched the middle, darker, layer about 9 hours ago and so far no activity.

9 hours is nothing up to 48 hours at lower temps is normal. Although yeastcake tends to be a bit faster.

I have never used SO4 so cannot really comment but I have read you can rinse or not even rinse and use yeastcakes up to about 6 reincarnations. If you like the results from SO4 then continue to use it. I am using Nottingham and Kit yeast in my Stout toucan but also use Us-05. I have not upgraded to liquid yeasts yet as I am terribly disorganised.

No offence taken. I'm not lookin' to brew the cheapest brew but the best brew. Therefore your point is taken. I have another two packets of SO4, so I can dump the stuff that I have pitched into a starter. The way I understood it rinsing and reusing it leads to progressively better beer. If this is not the case with SO4 then I'll start fresh.

So currently I am brewing English Bitters, IPAs and Porters; which yeast do you suggest.

BTW I assume the yeast was dead, I pitched the middle, darker, layer about 9 hours ago and so far no activity.

All the dried English yeasts are, imho, terreible. Irrespective of manufacturer or supplier. They are the VB of the English brewing world. (note I am not anti dry yeast per-se, but the English ones are shit. Vomit-inducing, horrible nasty shit).

Liquid yeast is they way to go: and they are worth harvesting. Wyeast vs Whitelabs is a useless argument; they both have good yeasts in their range. And they have a good range. Check out both their websites. Yeast choice then depends on the characteristics you want.

The only one I'd steer clear of is whitelabs 007? (the yorkshire strain). The esters it throws are way too similar to apples for my liking. Wyeast 1469 (west yorkshire) on the other hand is a beast. If you pitch large amounts into a coolish wort, you can get a nice dry profile; if you pitch at the lower end of correct pitching range into a warmer wort, you can push the stonefruit esters through the roof. That's why so many people on here bang on about how good it is. For a higher attenuation, there is a whitelabs english yeast (cant remember the product number) that is similar to W002 (a great yeast in and of itself, particularly if you like diacetyl in your green beer, but cleans up well after a week or two of condition), but with 10% higher attenuation: haven't used it myself, but have drunk beers made with it, and they were great. For low attenuation, Wyeast ringwood would be the go (although, for my personal preference, slightly too estery)....So many choices when you go liquid.

I've got an all bobek ESB CC'ing at the moment and used WLP005...

De-friggin-licious. Had never used the 005 before, but I'm sold.

Sponge

re my last post: wlp007 is the high attenuating yeast similar to the wlp002. The yeast I dislike is wlp037.

Haven't tried the wlp005, but it reads good. Sounds like it's a midpoint between 002 and 007.

Will put this on the list of 'to-do'

Back