Yeast Recommendation - Ne Brown Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendo

Tap-whore
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am looking to make my second Northern English Brown Ale on the weekend.

I have made a few tweaks to my recipe and one tweak I would also like to make is to try out a liquid yeast.

I have had a look at the Wyeast website, and they recommend 4 different strains:

1028 - London Ale

1098 - British Ale I

1275 - Thomas Valley Ale

1335 - British Ale II

I don't have any of these in stock and plan to put in an order this arvo.

So... does anyone have any recommendations/experience across these yeasts - particularly with this style?

Cheers,

Brendo

From memory I think you want to finish a little lower on your Final gravity range for this, so maybe try the 1028 London Ale and aim for an FG of around 1012-1013?? So it doesn't end up too dry.

(should help your beer definitely taste "interesting" :ph34r: )

Cheers SJ

From memory I think you want to finish a little lower on your Final gravity range for this, so maybe try the 1028 London Ale and aim for an FG of around 1012-1013?? So it doesn't end up too dry.

(should help your beer definitely taste "interesting" :ph34r: )

Cheers SJ

yeah that was a problem with the last one... finished out at 1008 (nottingham), so am upping the crystal a little (was a bit light) and want a less attenuative yeast strain. 1012ish would be ideal.

Brendo

I've used the 1098 in a NE Brown with great success. Have also tried the 1084 Irish ale in it, and also nice, but not quite right. Can't speak for the others you have listed, but can certainly recommend 1098.

I also found with the 1028 when i used it that once i crash chilled, it seemed to drop pretty hard (yeast cake was almost solid). After about 7 days at 1-2degC the beer was very clear.

Cheers SJ

I grew up on Tyneside and always remember the Brown Ales (Newcastle Brown and Vaux Double Maxim) as being sweetish although the modern version of NB is definitely sweet because of the modern requirement to drink it chilled (in the old days it would just be kept on a shelf behind the bar).

So Notto would be a no no. 1728 Scottish might be worth a look as Scottish and Newcastle were a fairly integrated group even back when I was a lad and no doubt sourced their malts, hops as a group and who knows about the yeast, I would imagine there was a fair bit of communication going on between Edinburgh and Newcastle. Might be a good choice if you are brewing fairly strong say 5.5% ABV.

Made a NE Brown ale last year using 1318 London ale III, did well in local and national comps and I have just bought some more to make it again, I love this yeast.

Cheers,
BB

I know some people don't like the mineral profile that 1028 can contribute to a beer. But I quite like it. It does a great brown ale, it'll get you into the right final gravity. And if you don't like the sound of the mineral taste, ferment it between 20 and 22 and you get a lot more esters and less mineral taste. I found the mineral profile is really obvious when this ones fermented at 18.

Don't know if it'll help (as you may not be able to get the yeast), but 1469 makes an amazing brown ale. Not hugely attenuative, but if you start with a low S.G. and mash cool it'll get you down to 10 or 12 F.G. I'll say it again, 1469 makes an amazing brown ale.

Good luck.

James

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

I know some people don't like the mineral profile that 1028 can contribute to a beer. But I quite like it. It does a great brown ale, it'll get you into the right final gravity. And if you don't like the sound of the mineral taste, ferment it between 20 and 22 and you get a lot more esters and less mineral taste. I found the mineral profile is really obvious when this ones fermented at 18.

Don't know if it'll help (as you may not be able to get the yeast), but 1469 makes an amazing brown ale. Not hugely attenuative, but if you start with a low S.G. and mash cool it'll get you down to 10 or 12 F.G. I'll say it again, 1469 makes an amazing brown ale.

Good luck.

James

1469 is all out - I had been thinking about grabbing me some of that, but no joy.

So it looks like 1028 is the front runner at this stage.

Ronin - how pronounced is the mineral taste? I was thinking of playing with the water chemistry - but sounds like I might be best leaving well enough alone with this yeast - at least the first time anyway.

Cheers,

Brendo

1469 is all out - I had been thinking about grabbing me some of that, but no joy.

If you can't get 1469 what about Ringwood yeast? I've seen a recipe for Samual Smith nut brown ale using ringwood yeast, makes sense as they are both from the north.

Here it is:
5 oz. British 55L Crystal Malt
3 oz. British Chocolate Malt
6 lb. Munons Extra Light DME
1 1/2 oz. East Kent Goldings @ 5%AA
1/2 oz. Fuggles @ 5%AA
Irish Moss
Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale, or
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

If you want AG, replace 6lb of Light DME with 9lb of pale malt (assuming 75% effiency)

hazard

Ronin - how pronounced is the mineral taste? I was thinking of playing with the water chemistry - but sounds like I might be best leaving well enough alone with this yeast - at least the first time anyway.

Hi Brendo,

The only time I really noticed it was with a pale beer, low (20) IBU that I fermented at 18C. Once I drunk that beer I could taste it in all the others, I guess I knew what I was tasting then. But if you ferment at 21-22C, you may not really notice it and you get some quite nice esters. 1028 does have a unique taste, I think bold and rich is the right description. It suits some beers quite well.

I'd be inclined to leave out the mineral additions, with the exception of maybe some calcium chloride if your water needs it. The hops in beers brewed with 1028 are quite pronounced, even without sulphates in the water. Especially compared to 1469. Try it without first and see. If you want to know what the mineral profile is like ferment it cool and see if you like it.

I've done pale and brown ales, bitters, IPAs porters and stouts with this yeast. It's very versatile.

Pity you're in Croydon, I've got some 1469 that I'm building up for a brown ale, I can definately spare some.

James

My friend and I are doing a Brown on the weekend with 1275. It is not ag but I can let you know how it compares to NB if you'd like. I am hoping this will be my mates last ag, I think I nearly have him convinced to turn to the dark side. Just need to get his missus on board...

Hi Brendo,

The only time I really noticed it was with a pale beer, low (20) IBU that I fermented at 18C. Once I drunk that beer I could taste it in all the others, I guess I knew what I was tasting then. But if you ferment at 21-22C, you may not really notice it and you get some quite nice esters. 1028 does have a unique taste, I think bold and rich is the right description. It suits some beers quite well.

I'd be inclined to leave out the mineral additions, with the exception of maybe some calcium chloride if your water needs it. The hops in beers brewed with 1028 are quite pronounced, even without sulphates in the water. Especially compared to 1469. Try it without first and see. If you want to know what the mineral profile is like ferment it cool and see if you like it.

I've done pale and brown ales, bitters, IPAs porters and stouts with this yeast. It's very versatile.

Pity you're in Croydon, I've got some 1469 that I'm building up for a brown ale, I can definately spare some.

James

Thanks for that James... sound slike it is a goer then. I'll keep it simple and leave the mineral additions alone on this one and see how we go.

Bugger you are in Geelong... will just have to keep my eyes peeled for the next time someone else is culturing some up.

Looks like I can now go and part with my cash... Ross will be pleased ;0)

Brendo

Brendo

Actually, I'm in Eltham - got a jar full of 1469 skimmed from a TTL about 2 weeks ago - might be able to help - PM me.

Hazard

Actually, I'm in Eltham - got a jar full of 1469 skimmed from a TTL about 2 weeks ago - might be able to help - PM me.

Hazard

Thanks Hazard... Rook has just offerred me some slurry on PM - much appreciated tho mate!!

Cheers,

Brendo

Back