Yeast Recommendation For Canadian Blond?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archimedes24

Reaction score
I want to get a decent yeast for my next batch of brew. Going to make a Coopers Canadian Blond kit tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a good yeast (Brand, liquid or dry, style<ale, lager, etc.>) for this? I don't want to use the stuff under the lid... <_<

For my fermentables, I'm planning on using 500g of LME, and 500g of Dextrose. Trying to avoid putting any Maltodextrin in as I'm not quite sure what the flavor would do to it... and just about every pre-packaged "brew enhancer" seems to contain either sucrose or maltodextrin. :(

Anyway, thanks in advance for the advice!

How about safale US56 for a nice clean ale yeast? Should be superior to the kit yeast and I think it would go well with your kit. For a real improvement you should consider getting some hops from your HBS while you're at it.

hiya, and so what hops do you reckon for a canadian blonde? (other than cascade)

thanks.

how ya going mate

I have a brew that I just done today, the kit was a Muntons Blonde, with 1.5kg of Amber Liquid Malt, and 12g of Cluster Hops, just 10mins in a cup of boiling water, then throw it in the fermenter. This is a James Squire Amber Ale recipe.

The yeast I had to use was in the recipe was a Safale s-04 11.5grm ale yeast.. This all went well but I have no idea of what the SG was, as my hydrometer only goes to 1040, and it was well past this mark??? All I can hope is a nice drinking beer, as my last one is quite good for a Cascade kit super market job, with enhancer...

Casey

Spun said:
How about safale US56 for a nice clean ale yeast? Should be superior to the kit yeast and I think it would go well with your kit. For a real improvement you should consider getting some hops from your HBS while you're at it.
[post="77794"][/post]​

:) Great advice, make sure you rehydrate it for best benefit and ferment @ 18c if poss ,no higher than 20c max and rack for at least a week.

cascade ,amarillo or maybe even tettnanger would be a nice touch @ 1gm per litre at 10 min and flame out boiled with the dme.

Don't use malto dextrin its crap :excl: Stick with the 500 dex/malt and make up to 20 litres only.

PM me if you want to talk k&k :p

I've done this kit a few times using Wyeast 1056 and as far as kits go, it's turned out pretty good. I also add about 15gms of cascade hop pellets.
I'd avoid the malto dextrin as well. Use 200gms of wheat DME instead and that will go a long way in helping with head retention.

If you can ferment at low temps I would go with a good lager yeast, maybe wyeast pilsen 2007? Otherwise safale is great at 18C (even better at 15C)

Then Tettang hops, just 10 grams or so would be great.

Latest posts

Back