Yeast pitching.....FFS there is enough in pack

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is beyond a joke. I'm sure it's all just a troll and a laugh but new(er) brewers might read this and think they don't need to give a shit about pitching rates.

Stu, you've spent far more then 38 minutes writing rubbish in this thread.

I dunno, it only takes a few seconds to do the Tony Abbot (No:)

Don't stop the ball rolling now. Let's talk about the 5g sachets, they are really small. I want 10 pages.

+1 for 10 pages, I'm sure that I won't be relying on the theory that one pack fits all :)

Thank you to all the contributors

I still find it completely suckful that I can buy a big fuckoff jar with 280g of dried S. cerevisiae for $4.29 for making pizzas ... yet the same stuff for making beer is $50-100.

RIPOFF.

20004.jpg

Nick JD said:
I still find it completely suckful that I can buy a big fuckoff jar with 280g of dried S. cerevisiae for $4.29 for making pizzas ... yet the same stuff for making beer is $50-100.

RIPOFF.

20004.jpg
Perfect sized pack Nick, no need to worry about under pitching or having to make a starter, clearly these are the packs Stu is referring to.

But wouldn't it be nice if Fermentis sold 280g packs of US05 for $5?

I'd scoop the shit in in great dollops.

slash22000 said:
This thread is beyond a joke. I'm sure it's all just a troll and a laugh but new(er) brewers might read this and think they don't need to give a shit about pitching rates.
Why

Will be interesting to see new brewers asking about making starters when they havnt even knocked a beer out. Seems some are intent on saying you must or your beer will be sit

Any technical reason for bakers yeast being so much cheaper? Or is just a case of what the market will bear?

From what I've hear bakers yeast often has many wild yeasts as well as the ale yeast. Doesn't matter for bread but for beer those wild yeasts could effect flavour or at least cause a slow continued ferment leading to bottle bombs. How prominent these wild yeasts are I don't know. There is also the issue of getting a single strain in the pack and sterilisation, which isn't worried about in bread but is for beer.

could be an interesting experiment. I wouldn't bottle it in glass though.

Is this thread still going??

Well, my 2c:
"I under-pitch and I vote"

And to add to the drama, some anecdotal evidence:

I pitched 11.5g of US-05 into 13L of wort (1.051) and it finished faster than the 1L starter of 3333 pitched into 32L of virtually identical wort (1.048) but the 3333 finished one day later, at identical temperatures (18.5°C).

Proof that a single packet of dried yeast provides more viable cells than a 1L starter of liquid yeast.

But seriously... why is this thread still going??

I refuse to be bullied against my claim that there is enough yeast in a satchel or make pack to make a good beer that the average beer would make. I have tried various yeast pitching. I found that doubling up on dry yeast ( and even re-hydrating ) didn't make any.difference. Same with liquid smack packs. The only time I made starters for liquids was when I Split them. I just direct pitched, no issues

If you don't want to cop shit from people, perhaps you should be less vehement with your claims that fly in the face of actual science, that are based on your anecdotal evidence (which in science talk means no evidence).

DrSmurto said:
If you have a fresh smackpack or vial, that is, within a month or 2 of manufacture, and you are pitching the yeast into 20L (or less) of a well oxygenated wort (8ppm of DO minimum) with an OG of less than 1.060, then you don't need to make a starter.

I'd wager, the vast majority of brewers are not able to tick all those boxes in which case, a starter is advised.
The vast majority of brewers use packets of dry yeast, not smackpacks/vials of liquid yeast.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Will be interesting to see new brewers asking about making starters when they havnt even knocked a beer out. Seems some are intent on saying you must or your beer will be s*it
This.

Yeah why not I will throw my 2c in here.

I always thought making starter was mainly about yeast efficiency...kind of like warming up before a run, if you don't you can still run but just not as well but after stretching and warming up you will perform better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back