Yeast pitched in finished beer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worts'n'All

Reaction score
Ok, long story short - I've panicked and pitched Bry 97 into a finished ferment (Belgian Pale) thinking that it had stalled, where as actually I hadn't calculated the FG correctly (using refractometer) DH I know! But it's done now..

My question is, Will the BRY97 affect the flavour at all if the Belgian ale yeast had already completed the ferment?

Should be ok the bry97 is a pretty non flavorful yeast and since it's fermented out anyway won't do much - if anything.

Just make sure you give it time to die so u don't get bottle bombs!

As above, it shouldnt impact flavour but give it a good cold crash before bottling so it settles out.
BTW you are not looking to kill yeast- that's how you get autolysis. Bottle bombs are caused by too much sugar, not too much viable yeast. The yeast will only eat available sugars (producing CO2). The limitation of CO2 formation is available sugar- not number of yeast cells.

:question:If there is not anything left for it to eat there will be no budding and no esters, alcohol ect. Would think that it will just go dormant and settle out in the crash chill. I think? Don't think there will be a problem with bottle bombs as combination is governed buy the fermentables.

Back