Yeast Or Fermentables Determine Fermentation Times?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verysupple

Supremely mediocre brewer
Reaction score
It's been about 3 or 4 years since I last brewed but I started again last weekend. I'm brewing a Bavarian wheat using Safbrew WB-06 at 22C (should be yummy :) ). It's been fermenting for 8 days now and the SG is still dropping very slowly. I remember when I used to brew that they would mostly be finished fermenting in about 4 - 5 days. I know there's nothing wrong with a slow ferment and there's nothing to worry about, but I was wondering if different strains of yeast ferment at different rates (assuming they're all working at their optimum temp because, yes, I know temperature plays a large role here), or if the amount and type of fermentables plays a bigger role? Just wondering because I figure you can never know too much about what's going on, eh?

it all has to do with the numerous variables ie, temp, yeast strain, cell number pitched, oxygenation of the wort, concentration of nutrients and sugars in solution. its a fine balancing act. adjust one ether way and it effects the final solution

Ha, I should have known like everything in brewing, it's a balancing act. Everything seems fairly normal although I wouldn't know how what the oxygenation is like. I'm guessing giving it all a good ol' whisk up to get some oxygen in there is a bad idea.

What temperature are you fermenting at? What was your OG and what is your expected FG?

Heaps of things will determine how long a beer takes to ferment i.e. how much yeast, its health, strain, wort aeration etc. Fermentables do play a role, but there are far greater factors that will determine the length it takes to ferment out.

FWIW my last wheat spent three weeks in the fermenter. If it as at an approriate temperature for the yeast, time (within reason) will be beneficial. Leave it alone until the end of the week (if it is at an appropriate temp) and check your gravity on friday.

This is one thing about home brewing, you can't rigidly control every aspect. I've had some brews rip through in 4 days, others (same recipe, yeast and starter size) have taken a month.

Hope it turns out to be a ripper brew.

JD.

EDIT: Beaten by barls.

Back